How do I get my Cox Internet to work with my Netgear N300 router and my laptop?

Candy Hedden February 16, 2012

Okay, so I already had fast internet with Cox Cable with a desktop and I now own a laptop. I purchased a router so I could have internet. I have service now on my laptop but my desktop acts as if there is no service at all. Even the Motorola modem thru Cox has disappeared in Network Connections on the desktop. Very totally and completely baffled. What’s wrong?

1) Click start
    2) Type services.msc in the search bar, Open services.msc
    3) Search DNS client and DHCP Client services and start the services to automatic if they are stopped.
    4) Network Connections >>  set to manual
     5) Network List Service  >> startup manual
    6) Network Location Awareness >>  startup to Automatic
    7) Network Store Interface Service >> startup to Automatic

a. Click Start, and open Computer.
    b. On the Tool bar, click Organize and choose Folder and Search Options.
    c. Click the View tab, and check to select the Show hidden files and folders option, and click OK.
    d. Then, enter the following directory:
    C:Users(User Name)AppDataLocal
    e. Find the IconCache.db file, and rename it as IconCache
    f. Close the window, and restart the computer.

Fix Network, Clock, Volume and Power (Battery) System Icons Missing with Disabled or Grayed Out Check Box Options: you can try the reg file
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/fix-network-clock-volume-and-power-battery-system-icons-missing-with-disabled-or-grayed-out-check-box-options/

Hello, is your desktop connected to router throught ethernet or with a wireless connection?  Is the ethernet cable connected between your router and your desktop?  Is the cable(usually blue) connected between your router and your modem through the WAN port?  Also make sure to check the cables.  I would start by double checking the setup.  The following link will give you instructions for your router:

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/WNR2000v2_SM_01SEP2009.pdf

• Candy Hedden

Hello to you, and yes it's connected through an ethernet cable and it is blue. I will double check everything. I don't understand why my desktop has bumped out the Cox Motorola modem, completely disappeared. Has blown my mind.

3. Karkala Nayak

Hello Candy,
    Try contacting your ISP(cox) and inform them about your problem and hopefully they will be able to help you.(By sending a technician or anyone similar to solve the issue and setup the whole installation accordingly)
    :)

• Candy Hedden

Thank you, I will try this first.