What can my cousin do after both her Facebook and Yahoo! email accounts were hacked?

Hossein Mansouri October 14, 2012

Someone hacked my cousin’s Facebook account and also her Yahoo! email that was connected to Facebook and changed the passwords.

Now how can she prove to Facebook who she is in order to get her account back from hackers? The hackers deactivated her Facebook account too.

Thanks in advance!

1. dinesh singh

what can i do if my facebook and yahoo account were hacked?

2. morning star

how can i complain against a hacker who try to hack my account??

3. Imesh Chandrasiri

I can suggest her to get the account control back by using forgot password method and use the security question method. but if the hacker has changed them too, you might have to contact customer care in both companies and prove the rightful ownership of the accounts. with proof they will help you to retain the accounts back.

• Drew Butler

I agree

You can report compromised accounts in the following way -

For Yahoo -

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?locale=en_US&page=content&y=PROD_ACCT&id=SLN2090&impressions=true

For Facebook -

http://www.facebook.com/hacked

5. Sanjay Rajvanshi

the first you inform the service provider so they can take the right steps , send emails. they change your passwords and security questions also now change them often , at least every 15 days. Also for password use a minimum 24 digit /alphabetic / special characters combination for few days

6. Becky Bowman

My Yahoo account was hacked a few weeks ago and sent emails to everyone in my address book. Nasty emails. Yahoo advised me to change my password. I also deleted my Yahoo address book. You should be able to get back in by using the security questions that were set up. I'm sorry but I can't help with FB.

7. Yiz Borol

To start, if she had security questions on in yahoo and she remembers the answers then she should just use the regular "Forgot my password" feature.

If that doesn't work, then i would suggest attempting to contact facebook directly and convincing them that she is who she claims that that they should reconnect her account with a new gmail account that you're gonna make for her (Gmail is great for this type of thing because it's very easy to verify that you are you: all you need is a cellphone.)

• Harish Jonnalagadda

Yes, contacting the facebook team directly is the best solution, they will call and go through a checklist,based on the information that is found shared by the user on facebook. Then they will change out the mail address.

I would suggest Gmail and enabling the 2 factor authentication mode. This mode enables you to use a mobile device to enable an added layer of security. Every time you log in, a code would be sent to the mobile for verification and this needs to be entered to successfully login.

• Louis

Dear Harish... How does one contact the facebook team... they only send me atomated links which wont work...

You can report them as contacting them is like getting automated response.Even though,these reports gets much time for processing.