Could you recommend a free or low cost and easy to manage solution for adding bookmarks/placeholders to MP4 videos?
Question by Joseph Videtto /

I have a number of videos that I use for learning guitar, and they are often 1 to 2 hours long – formats include MP4, IFO/VOB, ISO, and MPG.

I often need to isolate and loop on various sections of a video, and would like to define and include multiple bookmarks and placeholders for the video sections of interest, and to be able to define meaningful text names for each section. Additionally, I’d like for the bookmarks to seamlessly move with the videos when I move the files from one machine to another.

I’ve tried this with VLC media player, and although it is possible, I found the mechanism extremely cumbersome and, for me, unreliable. Lots of navigation, config files stored in non-obvious place with non-intuitive names or the bookmarks are easily lost or misplaced between sessions, etc.

Does anyone have a free or low cost recommendation, or if not – a more expensive but reliable solution?

Answer (1)

How about creating subtitles ?

It’s a free way to know where different event gets started.It would although take more time to insert it in video,but if you are aware of where any event starts or stops,you can do it in a faster way.

See the article in the link below with helpful screenshots to know how to do it –

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/subtitles-text-editor-aegisub/

So,next time,you want to skip to a section present in 60:00,you can refer to .srt file opened via Notepad and see the description.