What is the least costly sync for an unsynched iPad?

Ron July 25, 2011

Our iMac is too old to upgrade to iPad-synching capability, so we’ve been running it “un-synched” for almost a year. We synched it on a friend’s Mac, it died, and the replacement was synched at Best Buy, just to get it going. But we can’t back up, or upgrade to iOS 4.

If we want an anchor to sync, what’s our most economical strategy? Buy a used PC? Or a new netbook? Old Macs are out of our budget.

And no, we can’t go back to the friend. She’s got a newborn. And we will too, soon.

Your iPad will sync just fine with old PC, Ron, in fact you can probably get a working one that will more than suffice down the local city dump. Of course, as a PC it wont be that useable, but for something to sync from it should more than suffice. 

Do you mean an iMac as in one of the white iMac G5/Intel devices or iMac as in those colorful bulky CRT like things prior to the eMac?

I guess both options you mentioned are valid. 

My personal thoughts:

I don't like used PC's because you don't really know what they went through. Chances are the RAM is faulty (which the previous owner might not have noticed) or the Hard Drive and other mechanical parts (e.g. cooler fans) are close to it's end of life.

As for a Netbooks my personal doubts are with the rather small screen (resolution). It would be sufficient for synchronizing but anything else including organizing your iTunes Library and stuff might be a bit painful. 

Personally I would look around for some deal on a 15"-16" notebook. 
    Another decent choice for the everyday use is the Dell Inspiron 15"

3. Gustavo Ibarguengoytia

Depends on what you want to sync. Movies, pictures, music? Or email, apps, contacts, documents?

If you want movies, pictures and music since the files are larger than the average app, email or document you will probably need a better/faster computer than an old PC, like some of the newest netbooks, yet a netbook is very limited in HDD space so maybe a small 13 inch laptop would be a better investment since those could fit a bigger HDD more easily and you could have a DVD RW drive to physically backup all of your data.