Why does my coredless landline phone interfere with my ADSL2+ internet connection?
Question by Rachel /

I have a cordless landline phone which interferes with my ADSL2+ internet connection. Whenever the cordless phone is in use I get disconnected. However, if the corded phone is used everything is OK? Any ideas?

Browse other questions & answers in the category ; tagged .
Raspberry Pi Projects
Raspberry Pi Projects
Computer Hardware Talk
Computer Hardware Talk
Technology Explained
Technology Explained
Arduino Projects
Arduino Projects
Cool Toys and Gadgets
Cool Toys and Gadgets
Apple Hardware Discussion
Apple Hardware Discussion
Wearable Tech
Wearable Tech

• Viraj

I too have a same problem.
    Can anyone give me the simple and best solution please ?

• Oron Joffe

Hi Viraj, read the posts above. In Rachel's case, the problem was that one of her phones was not connected through a micro filter, but there are other possibilities. Good luck!

• Rachel

Thanks Guys
    I really appreciate you taking time out to help. Just for your info I have connected a filter to the cordless phone and problem is totally fixed. Thanks again Rachel

• Oron Joffe

As Mike indicates, it probably is a problem with your micro-filter. Note that if you have more than one phone *all your phones* must have a micro-filter!

If you are using WiFi at home, then a second possibility is that your cordless phone (which probably uses the DECT standard) is causing radio interference with the signal. This often happens, since both WiFi and DECT use the same frequecy range, but rarely leads to the connection actually dropping. Fixing it is often a matter of moving the phone (or the computer) a couple of feet one way or the other.

Well in general ADSL and landline phone run over the same cable (actually pair of cables). The different signals are then filtered via an Splitter where the ADSL signal is usually fed into the Modem while the telephone part goes into the TAE outlet.

However there are other cases too for example a modem with a built-in splitter. In that case the phone cables would go directly into the outlet and the modem connected to it.

Usually you might notice some quality loss on the phone line while using the internet, not the other way round and definitely not a disconnect.

As for your problem it might be duo to attenuation and noise margin. If your line is very weak even telephone signals could trigger your modem to lose synchronization with the DSLAM and therefor disconnect your internet.

You should call your Service Providers technical support about this problem. They should be able to identify and solve it.