Can I use a Core external hard drive with a Linux coputer?

Liz December 26, 2011

I recently received a Core external hard drive as a present, and am planning to buy a Linux laptop (not partitioned). The external hard drive only lists Windows under ‘operating system’. Will the two be compatible? Thanks.

1. Chris Hoffman

Yup, you certainly can. It's a standard USB device (you should see "USB 2.0" or similar on the packaging), so every operating system supports it -- even Mac OS X.

You shouldn't even have to partition it. External drives usually come with a single partition formatted with FAT32 or NTFS. Linux can use these file systems just fine.

Long story short: Just plug it in and it'll work, no problem. It's just like using a USB stick.

(I should mention that FIDELIS is somewhat accurate -- older Linux systems don't support NTFS, but current ones should work just fine with NTFS.)

Hello, as long as the harddrive is formatted with a format linux can understand, I do not think there should be a problem.  If the drive is formatted in FAT32, ext2, ext3 it should be ok. Chances are your drive is formatted with NTFS at the moment.  So your first step would be to formatted with one of the formats above.  The best option for you would be to formatted to a linux friendly format by using gparted:

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

You might have to play with it a little bit.  If you have another computer, and after the external is formatted with a linux friendly format, you could try burning a linux live CD and see if you can mount the external from the linux live CD.  That would be a way of making sure it it works or not.