How can I copy my Yahoo Mail archive to my computer?

Anita Alkhas August 6, 2012

I’m planning to close my Yahoo mail account, but I often find the need to search my files for old emails. I’d like to house them on a harddrive and still be able to search them.

1. Sharon Goodier

There doesn't seem to be any way of finding old emails I received on Yahoo unless I responded to them in which case they're in the "SENT" file. Can you please tell me if there is a way to go back to older ones than three days ago which fior some reason have been emptied from my trash (not by me)?

2. Bibek Kunwar

Use outlook

3. Justin Pot

The other suggestions here will work, but I thought I'd add something. If you're leaving Yahoo Mail in order to start using Gmail you can import your old emails easily: just head to the "Accounts" page in the settings to get started. Enter your username and password and Gmail will pull down all of your old emails for you.

Ignore this if you're not switching to Gmail, but I thought I'd offer the idea just in case.

• Anita Alkhas

Thanks so much. Actually, I did try that. I had so much archived mail that Gmail stopped importing at a certain point. Not sure what went wrong. I have a new Gmail account and could try again.

4. Alex Olariu

yes, indeed mail store home is the best solution out there, go for it

MailStore Home is designed specifically for this task. Best option around that I have found.

• Anita Alkhas

Thanks, it sounds perfect. WIsh it supported Macs.

6. EL

Set up thunderbird to download your message to your computer, but not to delete them from your yahoo account. That way, you'll have everything in both places.

If you want to have thunderbird copy your organization etc, and always Sync with yahoo, use IMAP. Otherwise, you can use POP - this will just download everything, but not sync, so when you move things around in Yahoo they will not move around in thunderbird.

7. Suman Acharya

use mail manager. mozilla thunderbird from this link - http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/download