How can I copy a rented DVD with copyrights to my computer or external drive?

Roberto Romero August 2, 2010

I want to make copies from Redbox, Blockbuster etc. I downloaded free EM FreeDVD copy Version 2.72. It is like CloneDVD, but free. However, it never worked on Windows 7 Home Premium.

Friends, do you think it will work if I put on my old computer? Or do you have a better free software for this?

I love to copy good movies. Not for sale just for the family.

Thanks,
Roberto

1. jeb

Can someone help me? DVD Fab legal or ilegal in the US?

Jeb,

you should ask a new question for a chance to receive a response to your question.

• Richard Carpenter

Yes, It has been ruled in a US Court that software that breaks the encryption/copyright protection of a DVD is illegal

Source: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/08/judge-copying-dvds-is-illegal/

2. alpine car dvd player gps

DVDShrink is no longer updated and doesn't work with many of today's encryption methods.

3. MacInt

A better question is why the moderator allowed this question through, if some bored fool at the DMCA saw this he might decide to create some sort of idiotic case against the website, the poster and anyone who gave a good answer... just be careful, there are a lot of powerful idiots out there.

Part of the reason to publish questions like these is to get good responses like yours.

If I reject the question, they will think I'm just rude. If I let it through and they get all kinds of people telling them that what they're trying to do is illegal, they might actually think about it. Or at least I can point the next person asking the same or a similar question to this question and its answers.

Just to reinforce Steve's point, not only is it illegal to copy copyright materials without permissions (civil offence), but the DMCA in the US and similar legislation in the EU and many other countries make it a *criminal* offence to break the copy protection built into the DVD. While I don't have major moral qualms about you doing this for private use, asking others for help implicates them in the crime too...

DVDShrink is no longer updated and doesn't work with many of today's encryption methods. While it's not free, I use DVDFab to back-up my DVD's and Blu-Rays.

6. Steve Campbell

Roberto, just so you know, what you are doing is illegal. You should only make backup copies of DVDs you actually own. To answer your question, however, an easy, free software to back up your DVDs is DVDShrink. You can find it via Google. lol