How can I copy and paste exotic fonts?

Jack Bruening June 26, 2011

I am captain of an internet chess team. I am trying to revise our team’s web page. When I use a font for chess pieces and try to paste these into the old page, the font reverts to abc fonts. Is there a way to save so knights for example appear as knights instead of the letter n?

1. Gustavo Ibarguengoytia

The problem is simple.

You downloaded those fonts, you installed them on your computer and you designed the website from your compter. When you did that, the software you used to design the site knew where the fonts were stored. On the other hand websites don't work like that, they depend on the fonts installed on your visitors computer, so everyone who visits your site needs to have that font installed in order to view it the way you designed it. So it is very hard to end up with the same design for everyone, you could put a link to the font's source for download but that could be troublesome and not very attractive for your visitors, then again if its something for an internal team then it shouldn't be much problem but even so compatibility issues may appear. Each user can configure their browser (Firefox, Chrome, IE, etc.) to overide fonts and force specific fonts accross all sites regardles of what the site designered planned.

Depending on what you want to do with those fonts it might be better to do a quick design using an image editor like gIMP: http://www.gimp.org to create a banner or chess board with the pieces on it.

What are you trying to do with those fonts?

Jack,

can you please provide some more details how you are revising your web page?

How is it coded and where do you make changes? For example what software do you use?