How can I copy files when Windows says the path is too deep?

Boyd Anderson March 12, 2010

I am trying to copy MP3s from my hard drive on to a flash drive. I have done this many times and have never had a problem. Now I am starting to get an error that it can’t copy because “The Path is Too Deep”.
Is there anything I can do to fix this? I am using Windows XP Home.

1. AdamGrat

my problem is solved by using LongPathTool

2. Itexperts77

There is a limit to the length of the entire file name including the path. You are trying to exceed that length. You'll need to examine the contents of the disk to determine which has long file names in the deepest path.I have solved the problem by using LongPathTool. It will automatically fix the error.

Try making a copy of the file/folder you are planning to move (WITHIN the same folder) and then try moving/copying the copy.

Can you give the full folder address. Ie C:/documents/music/files/morefiles/1/2/4/evenmore/file.mp3. How deep is your actually file?

Have to tried moving it up 2 or 3 directories then try and copy it to your flash drive?