How can I copy documents from a folder on my hard drive to Dropbox on my Mac?

Peta Stuart-Hunt October 27, 2011

I have downloaded Dropbox. If you drag an original document from a folder on your hard dis, to Dropbox, it seems to remove it from the folder rather than simply copy it. Am I doing something wrong?!

Hello, if you want to keep both files, in your harddrive and in dropbox, just use copy/paste.

3 More Ways To Manage Your Dropbox Files You May Not Know About
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-ways-manage-dropbox-files/

Basically the Dropbox folder on your Mac is nothing different from any other folder e.g. Documents or a new folder you create on your Desktop. If you drag & drop something into it the files/folders are moved.

The difference to other folders is that everything in the Dropbox folder is automatically uploaded and synchronized with the Dropbox online storage.

If you do want to copy instead of moving a file/folder to Dropbox you have to keep the option (alt ?) key pressed while doing so.

Personally I don't see any reason for it. The Dropbox folder is a local storage that means even if you don't have a internet connection it's contents will be usable. By copying a file into it you just use twice the storage on your Hard Disk - the original file + the copy within the Dropbox folder.

If you regularly edit those files you just make it harder for yourself to keep track which one is the current version.