How can I copy a CD directly from one to another?

Sonya April 28, 2010

I would like to make copies of my CDs that go with my school books. How can I make a direct copy from one to another without copying ISO files and images and resaving?

Everytime I try, either wave files will not copy, or I get errors during copy. I have tried InfraRecords, and a couple that came with Windows 2007 on my HP Pavillion.

Suggestions? I need to make backups of my CDs.

1. Mark O'Neill

I would copy the CD directly to the computer hard drive first. This will enable you to then check to see if the files are fine or if they are corrupted in any way, before copying to another disk.

I highly recommend CDex - it's fast, free and very easy.

Hello Sonya,

first of all, it'd be a good idea to check whether the CDs you want to copy have some kind of copy-protection, which may lead to the errors you point.

Assuming they don't, you just need two drives (source and target) and (if using Infrarecorder) unmark the "Clone disk" option and mark the "On the fly" one. Infrarecorder advises that if the disk to copy is multissesion or mixes audio CD with data you won't be able to do the "on the fly" copy.

Remember that copying "on the fly" is risky: if the source drive has problems reading the disk you could easily end with a nice CD or DVD as a coaster...

Hope it helps. Cheers!

Sonya,

If the CD you;re trying to copy is copy protected than I am afraid you wont be able to do this on the fly. first you will need to get the data of the copy-protected disc to PC (see article below) and then burn it onto a blank CD (using something like InfraRecorder or ImgBurn).

See, How to Copy DVDs That Are Copyright Protected (Windows)