How can I convert a Word document form to a webpage, collect data then save as PDF?

Jeff Port March 14, 2012

I am looking for a way to convert an existing Microsoft Word document to a web page where an approved user can enter text as well as an image into the form fields. Once the form is completed, it would then need to be saved as a .PDF and users emailed to inform of its existence.

Images would have to be re-sized to fit the allotted space. The PDF file would be named based on the input in one of the fields. While ideally I’d like the input page to look like the original document, I’m thinking it may be best to present data input fields and then upon completion show the resulting doc for review and acceptance.

Any suggestions?

Will this page be hosted on an external or internal server?  If it is an internal server, you may be better served just using your existing document as a template for whoever needs to use it.  With Word 2007, you can download the SaveAsPDFandXPS extension from MS to save your PDF directly from Word.  I think this capability is already built into Word 2010.

If it will be on an external server, you can click on the Office Orb -> Save As... -> Other Formats and select Web Page (*.htm; *.html) from the 'Save as type' drop-down list.  This will at least give you your basics for what you will need to have on the server to serve as your form.  What you need to do with it from this point on depends on what kind of server you have and what web server extensions are available to you.  A Microsoft IIS server with ASP.NET will allow a certain way of presenting and processing the page in one way while using an Apache server on *nix will probably require a different method of handling things.  At this point, server details would be required to further guide you.

• Jack Cola

I think Bruce has the right idea. Just get them to create a copy of the word doc, fill it out, and go save as PDF in the save menu.

Otherwise, to do what you want probably requires some custom code, as I'm not sure of an free scripts out there that can do what you want.