How can I convert a series of pictures into a video?

george Brown June 16, 2010

I’m wondering if there is a software that would accept the 200 pictures I took of the space shuttle launch and make it into a video – like the old flipping cards use to do. I am not looking for a slide show, but want to turn the pictures into a video.

1. Jasjeev Singh Anand

You could try the gif format

2. Î??ç???™

Use google Picasa 3! Its fast and easy to get the job done! :D

3. Dell

VideoSpin is my favorite and is much better than the Windows Movie maker. URL:http://videospin.com/default.asp

4. Nissim Hadar

You can also use FFMpeg - its a command line utility that can also convert pictures into movies and movies into pictures, in a zillion formats too :)

5. Jessica Cam W.

If you have Windows Movie Maker, you can easily:
    1. Click on Pictures under Import in Windows Movie Maker to load all your 200 pictures.
    2. Click on Automovie below the Menu bar, select a video style and create the Automovie, which will select transitions for you. Alternatively, press Ctrl+A to select all, drag them to the timeline, add some transitions or titles if you wish (click Effects, Transitions, Titles under Edit).
    3. Publish your piece to convert to video. Do not save project as .MSWMM file because neither video-hosting sites accept those files for uploading nor can you easily burn those files and view them on your TV/DVD if you want to share with others.

For HD quality, select More Settings when you're at the Choose The Settings For Your Movie part of the wizard, and choose Windows Media HD 720p in the drop-down menu.

Let me know if that helped!

• Bri

I believe iMac has a similar program? - bri

• EEKaWILL

How do you speed up the transition

• Jessica Cam W.

Add the transition between pictures in the timeline. Now click on the zoom icon to zoom in. Click and drag the left edge of the transition to make it smaller, which will speed it up. Let me know if that helped!

• Brown George

Jessica
      I had read somewhere else that WMM would do it and you gave me the confidence to try on a Mac no less.
      It was a challenge as I was using WMM in VM Fusion and WMM crashed a number of times but I finally got a video that I think is more than acceptable.
      It can be viewed on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vGPvHhXq50.
      thanks for your help

• Jessica Cam W.

Wow, 150 pictures in 2 minutes. Looks like it must have been a really coolexperience! Thanks for sharing the video.

By the way, WMM can extremely slow for me too (even natively in Windows, not virtual machine), but it's the easiest way to do without additional software in Windows (which I thought you had). In Macs, I think you can achieve something similar in iMovie so you might want to try it in case you ever wish to make a video again.

6. Saikat Basu

Obviously, you cannot turn still photos into moving images. The next best thing is to add transition images like fading in and out, a background score and make it into a 'movie'. We have covered a few apps that do that sort of thing. Check them out at the link below - Turn Your Pictures Into A Movie With PhotoFilmStripMasher– Mix Photos, Videos and Effects into Video Slideshows5 Ways to Create Beautiful Slideshows of your Digital PicturesMake Your Own Movie From Photos with Pinnacle Video SpinPicasa's desktop tool also has a movie feature. You can give that a shot too.

And if you do choose to host it somewhere, let us know the link. Would love to see it!