How can I convert a PDF file to text using Automator on the Mac?

jayne shatz August 30, 2010

I tired to use Automator to convert PDF to text and can’t. Did it many times with your directions and others on the web. It looks like I am doing everything correctly, until I drop the rtf file onto Word, and nothing opens up. Please help!

1. Bakari

If I‘m understanding you correctly, you should use the following action: Extract PDF Text. Drag it to the workflow window and then select and drag the PDF you want to extract from on top of the action. Click the run button and it should be result on the desktop. Now, if it’s a hug PDF, like 50 pages or more, it might hang up. Let me know if that works for u.

• Guest

Hi, I have never used Automator before not.  I am trying to convert PDF fils of 60 -100 pages to txt files.  I have done what you has described above but I am getting warnings and nothing at the end.  Please help if you can. Thanks

• Bakari Chavanu

Since what I wrote was done over a year ago, I'm afraid that there might be problems with Automator and the latest version of OS X, Lion. I don't know your particular case, but that could be what is happening. What specifically is the warning you're getting?