How can I convert a normal 2D video into a 3D video?

Osama Javaid May 22, 2011

I searched a lot about 3D. One thing I got is that that one can’t get 3D on normal TVs or monitors because there is some kind of special ‘polarization’ done only by a 3D projector in cinemas or by a 3D ready TV/monitor/home projector.

But recently I came across many software articles on the internet in which it is written that some software can convert normal videos into 3D (although without polarization) , also I found this link about using VirtualDub and AviSynth Script to convert 2D to 3D videos.

I want to know whether this technique is OK? And is there any other software to convert a regular video into a 3D video?

1. Khandarerajesh2864@gamil.com

hello!!! my name is rajesh and i want  to make any simple animation
    i have complate comp engg in aditya engg college .and i found that
    we can not creat it on simple monitor .we need special display

2. Oliverj1

I dont have a 3D TV, but i can still see 3D movies?

3. Mohamed Sabbah

you can do that by this software ( Free 3D Video Maker )

The extraordinary feature of the program is that you can create a 3D video using just one source video file as well as two files.Free 3D Video Maker is extremely simple in its usage. You can take two videos captured with a small horizontal shift and just get them processed by the program and that's it - your 3D movie is right there! And same easily you can perfectly do with only one video file. Just open the program, select the file, tick ''single source file'', click ''Make 3D!'' - and there it is!Free 3D Video Maker contains no spyware or adware. It's clearly free and absolutely safe to install and run.you can download it from here http://dvdvideosoft.com/download/Free3DVideoMaker.exe

"some software can convert normal videos into 3D (although without polarization)"

I think you're confusing various 3D display techniques. Polarization has nothing to do with 3D video productions. 3D simply means there are two video streams. The 2D -> 3D conversion software exists, by taking movement of objects as a visual cue to depth. Think of looking out of the window of a moving train - object close to you move slower than further objects, so you can realistically generate a 3d movie of this given just one view of it. Of course, this pretty fails for any form of video sequence that isnt just looking out the windows of a moving object, so the effects kind.. suck. 

Passive polarization is just one form of 3D display technique, where the light is polarized to one direction, and filtered to each eye using a further polarized filter at the same angle. But regardless of whether the tv display using polarization or active shutter, or glasses-less lenticular 3d - the source video will always be the same - just two video streams, one for each eye. 

If you'd like to see more 3D articles then keep an eye out, as I just got myself one of the new FujiFilm w3 HD 3D video and stills cameras, so pretty much everything I take from now on will be in 3D!

5. Osama

@dmaxel:disqus  yes i know that true 3D effect can't be acheived with single lens shot video.

6. Danny Stieben

If you would like to have some form of 3D effect on your videos, it's definitely worth trying out and testing out for yourself to see if you get a better experience from them. Don't forget to have a backup of the original file so you can always go back!

Just take note that it will never be a full 3D effect because there are a couple factors that have a role. Aside from the polarization that you mentioned, true 3D videos are always made with two camera lenses that record from different angles, just like your eyes. Therefore, if you take a video (which is only one angle), it cannot create a true 3D effect because it's missing that second, supporting angle.

Again, just try it out and see for yourself if it works. If it satisfies you, then I'd call that a success. :)

Converting 2D Videos to 3D using VirtualDub and the AviSynth Script
    http://3dvision-blog.com/converting-2d-videos-to-3d-using-virtualdub-and-the-avisynth-script/
    the script simply exploits some common visual cues to take a decent stab at applying a 3D effect to a 2D movie, but it’s certainly better than nothing

DVDFAB sharware
    http://www.dvdfab.com/2d-to-3d-converter/how-to-convert-2d-video-to-3d-video.htmv