How can I convert mp3 to a format that will play on my car stereo CD?
Question by Setshuma /

What software do I use to convert mp3s to audio that can play on a car stereo CD?

• SP Service & Repair, SCOTT

Tina is right, it works perfectly…in the burn options on windows media player chose AUDIO CD, the options is a small link in the top right of the burn screen. Works like a charm.

• Angi Grayham

If you’re already using a Windows system, then use the free, already installed (usually) Windows Media Player with your CD-R writable drive. In Windows 7 (similar in other editions), just open WMP, and then click the burn tab. It’ll tell you to drag files from your playlists to the box on the right. It’ll even show you when you’ve filled up a cd with music. When you’re done loading the songs you want, then click the button above the list that says “Start burn”. It’ll go through all the process of burning and then you’re done. Eject, then go out and pop it in your car’s cd player! Yay! Tunes for the road!

• Hedley

The cd will burn in which format ? Mp3 or Wav? as i need to convert my mp3 files to WAV to enable listening in my car player as it does not support MP3 format…thks to clarify

you do not need to format your MP3 files in WAV to create a CD that the player in your car can read. Simply select ‘audio’ instead of ‘data’ CD when burning the CD with your MP3 files. It will automatically be burned in the right format (WAV).

• Allan7958

sorry Tina but it doesnt not on mine anyway Ive been through 5 cd.s now trying to get this to work and it doesnt

• Eat_leadd

OK..Its simple..while u burn the cd simply choose audio instead of data or format by default is burnt as ur wav format ..hope it helped

• Allan7958

rubbish! doesnt work with my wmp and it was burning to audio as apposed to data

Hi Setshuma,

I have a similar issue in my car, it plays only Audio CDs. So, you should burn MP3s as audio CD to get them playing. Tina, provided you an excellent tool for that. Make sure to burn at the lower speeds coz if you burn at higher/highest speed your CD Player may not be able to read it.

did you try to play a data CD containing mp3 files on your car stereo? Most CD players nowadays are capable of reading mp3.

If the CD player in your car can not do it, you have to convert the mp3 files to wav. Actually, you don’t need to convert them first, you just need to use the right burning software to burn an audio CD (as opposed to a data CD) from your mp3 files. For this task I recommend CDBurnerXP (also available for Windows Vista and Windows 7).