How do I convert movie files to .MP4 with HandBrake on Mac?

Jordan Dashel March 28, 2012

I am trying to convert movie files to MP4 with HandBrake on my Mac to put onto my iPod Touch 3G. Whenever I convert movies they become .M4V files and, while iTunes loads and plays them, they can’t be transferred to my iPod.

What’s wrong, and what should I do?

1. Aunindita Bhatia

Just so it's clear, Perian enables you to play .avi in Quicktime but I don't think it extends to iTunes. Nothing enables .avi in iTunes.

2. Aron

I use handbreak. Works great for me and from what I've heard from other people, it's one of the best pieces of software when it comes to ripping DVDs, or converting videos in general. Fast, easy, and powerful.

3. VictorGeis

You should be able to upload the movie to HandBrake then click "Toggle Presets" and then select your iPod Touch option under Devices. Be sure you then select MP4 file under Format. Then you can take it into iTunes and upload it to your iPod. Hopefully that's all it takes.