Can I convert my iPhone 3GS to an iPod touch?

Lawrie June 3, 2011

I will not renew contract with AT&T, and wish to use my iPhone 3GS as iPod Touch. Can this be done?

1. Zoe Tinsley

But with an ipod touch you can send text messages on wifi , I do not understand how to get this to work? I got a 4S and gave my young son my old 3GS, now its not connected as a phone anymore but i want him to be able to take it to his dad's and be able to message me whenever he wants, how do we do this? his dad has wifi but I just dont understand how to set it up so you can send texts

2. Jay Gee

My dad is planning on passing down his iPhone 3g and converting into an iPod Touch; however, the wifi isn't working. He tried everything he could do. Is there any way to fix it? He did everythin Marc did and still nothing! HELP!

• Uppweez

That old iphone probably has the dreaded 'no wifi' issue.  My old 3G has the same problem.  Plenty of information out there on this problem.  Long story short: you can't fix it.  You can put it in the freezer for about 15 minutes and the WiFi will work again until it warms up.  Seriously - no joke.  Google it.

• Jaygee_musicpro

Alrighty thanks! I'll try that!

It already is. You don't need to convert anything, it functions as an iPod touch already. When you take out the 3G sim or lose the network, it'll only work on wifi just as the ipod touch does. If you mean you want to physically remove the phone icon, then no. hide on the last screen or something. 

• Lawrie

Thank you! I still wonder if I will lose all contacts/apps, etc. when I  remove the sim;
      can you help with that question?
      Again, thank you.

Removing/adding a SIM does not remove anything your iPhone except the functionality of cellular network and internet.

• Marc

HOW is this done.  My 3G will not pick up the wifi signal.  There is a trick and I can't figure it out.  Thanks.

• Jaygee_musicpro

So mike, should the Wi Fi still work?

Yes, of course it will still work. WiFi has nothing to do with the cellular network or the SIM card.

If it doesn't one either turned on "flight mode" by accident or there is some general firmware or hardware defect.
          In that case one can only try to reset all network settings via "Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings" on the iPhone (all network settings and passwords will be deleted) or a restore via iTunes.

In regards to Marc question I can only assume he is trying to use public WiFi hotspots provided by AT&T. Those obviously won't work without a SIM card since the iPhone is no long identified as a customers device.

• Jaygee_musicpro

Alrighty, I'll try that out and let you know the result. Thanks!

• marc

Hi James.  Are you aware of a procedure as my old 3G will not pickup the wifi network.  It looks and acts fine otherwise, but no wifi.  I have the at&t sim in the phone and have tried resetting, restarting, took sim out, shut off, reactivated, etc...  Can't get wifi to work.