How can I convert a double column PDF document into a one column PDF or Word document?

Yehia Ismail May 23, 2010

How can I convert a PDF document with two columns into a Word or PDF document with a single column? The conversion should take care of column width and proper formatting.

1. Dawn

In the professional version of Acrobat, you can export any PDF as a MS Word file. Then you can open it in Word and make whatever edits you want.

the only problem it's not free :-)

• sammy

Another problem is that the conversion to doc is often garbage if your pdf has two columns and math formulas.

Just to add to previous comments, we have article about converting PDF to Word: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/can-you-convert-a-pdf-file-to-a-word-doc/

3. Steve Campbell

I think it would be much easier to first get your PDF converted to a Word doc. This will allow you to edit the file as you see fit, and once you're done, you can convert it back into a PDF or keep it as a Word document.

Word 2007 has the ability to convert documents to PDF built right in, but like fruitgeek said, I'm sure you can find a good program for this online. Try searching MUO as well.

4. fruitgeek

You could use zamzar.com to convert it to word, and then use zamzar again to change it back to pdf once it is in single column. Or you could just open up the pdf, select all, copy, and then paste into word. there are also pdf editors out there. Just google it

this would definitely break the formatting and styling of the document.