How can I best convert cassette tapes to mp3?

rivka February 8, 2011

Is it easier to convert tapes to mp3s using Hype Tape to PC USB Cassette-to-MP3 Converter vs. just connecting a tape player to a PC and using Audacity, as described in an article on your website How To Convert Audio Cassettes & LPs to MP3 in 5 Easy Steps How To Convert Audio Cassettes & LPs to MP3 in 5 Easy Steps Read More ? Is it worth $25 for the machine? Thanks!

1. Osmin

asd

2. Ddavis78

Kmauryo I am not the one who was rude, I only apologized if my comment caused someone else to be rude. I thought the other person was rude too. I don't think I was being rude at all.

3. Kmauryo

Wow Im surprised he apoligized !!!

4. Ddavis78

I did post a new question but never heard anything back. So I guess no one knows. I will probably end up sending the unit back and get a refund. I am quite disappointed that it didn't work for me. And I agree the rudeness isn't required, but that's how people are nowadays. Sorry if my comment or question created any negativity.

Davis,

some questions are tough to answer, unless someone happens to have a similar hardware / software setup to try and figure it out.

5. Ddavis78

I received one of these HYPE tape to MP3 players today. I was so excited, because I have old recorded family audio tapes I would like to save to my computer. But once again I am disappointed because I hook everything up and install it, only to not be able to hear a sound out of it. I can hook a headphone into it and hear it, but it does not come through to the computer. Any suggestions? I'm very disappointed.

• Abe

This may seem like a silly question. I just got the Hype and the software comes on a small CD. My laptop won't take the CD. There's no pull-out carrier. It either pulls it in or it doesn't pull it in. What to do?

Abe,

this sounds like an entirely different question. You should ask a question of your own.

• Sgmathews1

Use a friend's computer that does have the tray for the mini cd. Copy the cd directly to a jump drive then install on your computer from the jump drive.

Davis,

this question is rather old. Please submit a new one. Thank you!

• W Joe East

What the f is wrong with you?  Answer the Fing question if you know it.

Well, I don't know the answer. However, being the Editor here I read all comments and provide advice and guiding.

Since the question in reply to which this comment was posted is old, chances are very slim that someone who knows the answer will see a recent comment. Hence my recommendation to post a new question, so that people who know the answer can see it and respond.

What is there so difficult to understand about that? And why do you have to be so rude?

• Kmauryo

I found that Hype portable cassette player on Ebay for $25.00 and it was really a piece of China crap. I agree, then it had the nerve to play my cassettes slow, while plugged into the USB.  got my money back.

Hey Rivka,

So, did you convert your cassettes to MP3 files? Which of the above methods did you use? Let us know.

Aibek

7. Raymond St Marie

I use Spin it Again to transfer Cassettes AND Records to MP3. It's worth EVERY penny of the 34.95 cost. It does an unbelievably good job of cleaning up tape hiss and vinyl pops and cracks WITHOUT changing the sound. The program can AUTOMATICALLY DETECT TRACKS OR YOU CAN DO IT MANUALLY. I have used the manual function for LIVE recordings that are all one track. Save SO MUCH TIME AND EFFORT IT'S WORTH EVERY PENNY.

I am not familiar with the Hype player, but a player with USB output selling for $25 is not going to be very good. If you have a good player, stick with that and either use your soundcard or get a good quality USB preamp/soundcard. Audacity will do a first class job in recording the music and you'll be able to split the tracks there and export them in MP3 or other formats.

9. fruitgeek

I have actually done this before with a tape or two.

Any old tape player with a standard output jack should work (a more expensive player may yield higher quality). Then, connect the tape player to your computer with an audio splitter or a male-to male 3.5mm cable, depending on whether your tape player outputs to standard red and white cables or a single small plug. Then, rewind the tape and open an audio recorder; Sound Recorder (preinstalled) for windows and GarageBand for mac. Audacity (free, cross-platform) gives you even more flexibility. Then, simultaneously click the record button on the computer and press play on the tape player. Monitor the output audio from the computer (I know you can do this w/ garage band, not sure about others) so that you know when the song ends. When it ends, promptly pause the tape player and stop the recorder application. Save the file from the recorder app and bring up a blank one for the next song. Repeat the process until all the songs are saved on your computer. If you use Audacity or GarageBand, you will need to export the project files to wav, mp3, or mp4 files.

I just used a tape deck out of a stereo and an audio splitter; I also used GarageBand because you can listen to the tape player input in real time.

fruitgeek, I notice you say you used Garageband to catch the track into file format (then export it to iTunes to have it in wav or whatever file).  

I connect my HYPE via USB, go to my sound feature and select input from the PnP device, output through headphone jack (actually have speakers hooked up) but when I hit record in Garageband and play on the HYPE, the tape rolls and the track lays down the metronome, no music.  

I am on the newest MacBook Pro, all software updated & I am pretty proficient at Garageband, please let me know if there is something I am missing or maybe my HYPE is defective???  

I would say, it is more convenient using Hype Tape to PC USB Cassette-to-MP3 Converter than using a tape player. The reason I say this, is because this device already comes with everything you need for the process. You just insert the tape, hit record, play with settings and just wait for it to finish. You do not need to be looking for wires and connectors that are compatible between your tape player and sound card.

The same thing can be achieved with a tape player and audacity, but like I said before, you have to have the cables that are compatible with your tape player and your card. Also the quality would suffer especially if your sound card is embedded in your motherboard instead of a separate sound card.

Is the machine worth $25? I would say that depends on the user. If you really need it and can afford it, it is worth the money to you. I remember when this machines came out, they were worth over a $100. If you can get it at the price you are mentioning I would go for it and get it. Bottom line is, if you are sure you will be using it a lot, I would buy it...if you are only planning to use it once in a while, I would stick with the other method you mentioned with the tape player.

• rivka

what about pausing between songs? does the hype tape automatically do that? i know with audacity you have to do that manually afterwards. thanks!

• Lawrhg07

what are the Audacity settings that need to be used for the USB connection?

Since this question is rather old, I recommend you ask a new question.