Can I convert the BT home hub equipment to be used with another service provider?

bob March 30, 2010

I previously subscribed to BT home hub broadband/wireless, but have canceled meanwhile. However, I still have their equipment and am now connected to a different broadband supply. Can the BT equipment be converted to pick up another wireless connection?

Bob,

did you manage to convert your BT home hub equipment? If yes, how did you do it and was PsiDOC's suggestion helpful? Thank you for your feedback!

2. PsiDOC

Yes you can. Have a look here: http://www.psidoc.com
    Oh and for the record: Bt GIVE you the home hub as a carrot to get you to sign up for a 12 month contract. What the don't tell you is they lock it so it's not good without modding when you leave. So what you do with it is up to you and not illegal in any way!

3. BT Employee

Another example of makeuseof advocating illegal activity.

First of all, this is a user question.
      Secondly, if BT doesn't ask for the equipment to be returned after the contract ends or if they charge a fee in case it's not returned, nothing speaks against using the hardware further.
      However, I didn't read the specific contract this user signed, so I wouldn't know for sure.

• Fredtheshred

As a BT customer I will make this short and sweet for you, you're wrong. As you should know, a contract is written up (12 or 18 month) between you and BT for which (through that contracted months) you are renting the BThub until the end of the contract for which the BThub then becomes the property of the customer. There's no illegal activity as long as you either finish the contract or pay up the remaining contracted period. I'm just surprised that you have posted such a comment on a forum which is questioning a legal right of the customer to do whatever the wish with the BThub after that contract period. I will also point out that you are also treading (very dangerously) on legal grounds. I suggest you be better off going back to BT's legal advisors and take advise from them, you obviously don't know what you're talking about.