How can I convert any Blu-Ray movie for watching it on my LG Jazz 42″ TV?

Nouman August 13, 2011

My TV supports DIVX formats. However, when I tried converting Blu-Ray movies, it didn’t work out on my TV!

1. Mulder

One more thing: 1080p is not officially supported by the DivX format, but it is possible that files encoded at that resolution will play, as long as the bitrate is between 6 and 8Mbps. Otherwise, the maximum resolution supported by DivX is 720p.

So, try converting your mkv files to 720p resolution and they should work for certain; and if you can control the bitrate to within the acceptable range, try encoding one at 1080p.

2. Mulder

Well, I'm not suggesting that Any Video Converter isn't good, just that it may contain a bug (or feature, depending on your point of view) that screws up conversions in certain resolutions and formats. Full HD is 1080p, so if 720x304 runs in DivX format after conversion from mkv, then I would try converting an mkv file to DivX at 1080p to see if that works on your TV. Try it on those other converters I linked to to see if those work also.

If so, then try one of those two converters I linked to to convert an mkv to 1280x720 DivX and see if that works; if not, then I'd have to assume that your TV doesn't support DivX in that resolution, or it has some other feature that prevents those from playing.

3. Nouman

Well, thanks for dos links bro.But as far as i know, any video converter is also one of the best converters available.I think it was also listed in the MakeuseOf lists too.

Anyways, one more thing i wud like to say is that my TV supports full HD.But still i cant play dos 1280X720 movies in divx format.
    Interestingly, if i convert any dvd movie in an mkv format(consider the frame size 720X304) to divx format it runs smoothly and fits the TV screen completely.

Hehe..sorry for extending my problem bro, but be assured this is the final part of my problem.

4. Mulder

I suppose it's possible that the 1280x720 frame size is not supported for playback on your TV, or perhaps even for DivX; you may have to downsample the frame size during conversion to DivX to 1080.

It's also possible that Any Video Converter isn't doing the conversion properly, so you could test that theory by trying another converter, such as:

DivX Plus Pro (free trial): http://www.divx.com/en/software/divx-plus/converter
    Wondershare Video Converter: http://www.macvideoconverter.org/

5. Nouman

Hi, Mulder, Actually I have brrips in mkv format.

Actually, I use Any Video Converter paid version.
    However, if a movie is of d frame size 1280 X 720 and when i tried converting it in same frame size but with a divx encoder, I could not see that movie on TV.
    This is the detailed version of my problem.I hope someone provides an answer soon according to my needs.

6. Mulder

You can download a beta of MakeMKV (http://www.makemkv.com/download/) and convert Blu-ray DVDs to MKV files, then use another utility to convert the MKV file to DIVX.

The beta is good for 60 days, and you can then download the latest version and install that to have another 60 day trial.

Hello, you have to remember that blu ray disk have encryption on them to prevent copies being made.  In your case, before converting to divx you would have to take the encryption first.  Once that is accomplished, you could convert to divx.