How do you control your sub-title in Facebook friends views?

September 19, 2011

If you look at your friends list in Facebook, you see that some of them have information about themselves under their names, e.g.:

John Doe
Works at Google

If you were to look at that person’s profile->info, you’d see that they have Google marked as employer. Sometimes people have their university or school listed below their name.

I can’t figure out how Facebook chooses what to use under somebody’s name in a friends list.

Some people have nothing (me included). I have an employer listed, university listed, and school listed. Facebook doesn’t decide to show any of these under my name when I look in my friends’ friends-list though. I’m a blanker.

1. Rory7

Bt the question has not been resolved!

if the link doesnt work here is shortened version: http://goo.gl/FM7lV
    or simply go to account settings and join a network

• Stealthmouse

That's interesting, since I'm not a member of any network, yet FB put one of my schools as a subtitle name.  

• Jay.0

Fb keeps changing things, it was in September 11.
        when I found that, only those who have joined some network from my friends, had this subtitles.

But today, these "subtitles" are displayed with all the friends who have provided  these details in their info.

• Steve

The link you posted just takes me to the facebook log in page. Could you post it again? Thanks!

Steve,

log into Facebook first, then try the link. It worked for me. You will see General Account Settings and can join a network there.

• Steve

Thanks! Unfortunately, my work shows up in my subtitle not my school network that I joined when I first signed up on facebook many years ago. I guess I can't change unless I erase my work info?

Hi asker, Nice observation...I never tried to find out why this happens, but now I came to know that,
    the "subtitles" that you dont have and others do are the "networks" and not the basic info of study or work.
    so if you want to have the same kind of "subtitle"/network with your name
    you can it from here.

https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=account&section=networks&t
    works for everyone !

answers page gone down ???

must have been a temporary glitch either in our server or your internet connection

MakeUseOf is becoming too popular. ;)

Yes it is :)