Is there a way to control the order of the “From:” addresses in GMail?

Alex March 3, 2011

I have a bunch of eMails connected to my main GMail account and would like to change the order in which they are shown in the drop-down menu. As in, have the more important ones/frequently used on top. Is this possible?

1. Christopher Royall

Hello Paul,

I am sorry you are so disappointed with Gmail, as I have really come to love their service (and I was one of the last hold outs on Yahoo's defense).

As I understand it, you are saying that when you compose an email, you want to reorder the list in the drop down menu of accounts that you are sending from, ie 1st one is your gmail account, 2nd: a@aol.com, 3rd, cx@yahoo.com, 4th zebra@yahoo:disqus .fr, and so forth.

While Fidelis is correct, if you are really just looking to change the top one accounts position, (called the default in Gmail), this is a lot easier.  Instructions are as follows:

To do this, from Gmail,

1.  Go to Account Settings (Left Click the Gear in the upper right, and then left click 'Mail Settings' from the submenu that drops down.)

2.  Left click the 'Accounts and Import' Tab listed under settings.

3.  Left Click the 'Make Default' Link to the far right of the account you would like to be at the top of the list.

Hope this helps.

2. Paul_G

I gave up trying to get Gmail to be useful. I ended up using Thunerbird that is FAR more user friendly.

Is the priority inbox can be of any help
    http://mail.google.com/mail/help/priority-inbox.html
    On Priority Inbox tab, you can see three section as “Important Emails”, Starred and Normal Emails. You can move emails from normal to Important by clicking on the + symbol near to that email. Or you can remove emails from Important emails section by clicking on – symbol

you can try the free version of POSTBOX and see if you can do what you like.
    http://www.postbox-inc.com/

• Alex

I believe that is for incoming emails. I am referring to when sending an email - your sent address.

Hello, as far as I know, the only way to do that is to delete the accounts and add them back in the order you want them.