How can I control my computer remotely?

Aminul Islam Sajib May 20, 2010

Is there any possible way to operate my computer with any remote device? Well, I haven’t heard of one yet. But someone told me that it’s possible by a bluetooth device and bluetooth-enabled handset. If it’s true, how do I use my bluetooth-enabled handset and a bluetooth device connected to my computer to operate it?

Note, my PC is running Windows 7 and Linux in different partitions, and it has 2 GB RAM.

1. Rickychongmatrix2001

ry team viewer
    it is over the internet

2. fruitgeek

If you only need to access the files, use Nuxinov's FeelHome- it is completely free and works on windows, mac, and linux. its on Nuxinov.com

I just started using a program called TeamViewer enabling the ability to access all my pc's from any of them. (we have 3). TeamViewer is free for personal use, and I have had no issues. It is well documented and easy to use.

• Jessica Cam W.

With TeamViewer, I have been able to access a Windows machine and my laptop with Ubuntu from the iPhone app. It's super simple to connect since you just have to run the program, write down the 2 numbers (one is the ID and the second is the password) that show up and then on your iPhone (or another computer, since TeamViewer is also portable), plug in those numbers and you'll be connected!

4. Bill

My initial concern is that you state you want to control your PC utilizing bluetooth. Most bluetooth devices only operate up to 30 feet away so at that point it would be easier for you to walk into the other room and perform your task on the PC itself.

As a side note, if you are looking for something to remotely take over your PC I would recommend UltraVNC. You simply install UltraVNC server onto the computer you would like to control (I personally make sure I install the mirror driver so you get a better response when connected to it remotely). Then on the end device you are using to connect to your main box, you only need to install the UltraVNC viewer. Not only will this allow you to connect to your box from within your home, but if you have a router in your home you can simply setup port forwarding to forward all request coming from port 5800-5900 to go to the IP address of your main box and you can then access your PC from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet connection and a vncviewer installed on the machine. UltraVNC also allows you to connect to the vncserver via web browser so you don't even need the viewer if its not convenient. If you need specific steps on how to accomplish this task, ultravnc offers a great how-to guide for you to follow here: http://www.uvnc.com/install/index.html

I hope this helps!

Wireless mouse??? (Sarcasm)
    Could use something like TightVNC, or a remot desktop program like Skype, MSN, Crossloop.

Or, you can use your Wii remote. Googling "control pc with wii remote" will reveal all. I used one program, but forget what's it's called

6. Taty

Hi Aminul
    How remotely do you want to be? There are many programs that give you access your computer information remotely and even open programs and move the mouse remotely, but Bluetooth range is only 10 meters ( about 30 feet), so that wouldn't be more remotely than, let's say, another room.
    For remote access, look at Tonido:
    http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/tonido-makeuseof-giveaway/

I once tried a program calles SallingClicker to turn my handphone into bluetooth remote. I believe this is what you are looking for. They have the windows version here: http://www.salling.com/Clicker/windows/. However, the app is not free.

8. Steve Campbell

All you need to accomplish this is to set up a VPN (virtual private network). I use a program called Gbridge which works just fine. You can also check out programs like LogMeIn.

• Aminul Islam Sajib

Hi Steve, thanks for your comment. I have done a quick search on the suggested programs and I think it's not really what I was looking for. Gbridge is probably something like I can remotely control my PC using another PC (I don't know if I'm right, but it just looked like that). And LogMeIn looks something I need to buy. :(

I think there is some bluetooth way to get this job done. That's exactly what I have been searching for.

• skatoolaki

Actually, LogMeIn is free, if I remember correctly from when I initially set mine up, for just one computer. I have been using it for a number of years now and love it, since I run it from my flash drive (with U3 on it) and can plug that into any pc, anywhere, and access the computers I have set up on my LogMeIn account (home desktop & laptop, and work desktop).

Another great thing about LogMeIn is that you can use it from a mobile device - I have the LogMeIn app on my iPhone and can access the computers I have set up on my account from my mobile device just like I can from any pc I plug my flash drive into.

While I know you can use Bluetooth to upload/download files from a device to/from your pc, I don't see how it would work for actually, physically accessing and working on your pc. Bluetooth doesn't work quite like a Virtual Private Network (VPN) and that is what you need to access and work on your pc as you desire.

I could be wrong, so let me know if you find something that works for you - but, personally, I just don't see how you could use Bluetooth to work on your pc remotely; as far as I understand it, Bluetooth needs to be within a certain range or it will not work/connect, whereas with VPN range is not an issue - you can connect from anywhere to anywhere that the VPN client you are utilizing is set up.

• Steve Campbell

Well if you're looking to actually control your computer with a remote of some kind, they do have bluetooth apps for smart phones and things like that. They also sell Windows multimedia remotes if you want to look into that.