How can I contribute to MakeUseOf?

Ragnar Moller November 25, 2010

Nice and flashy site, seemingly user friendly, though I haven’t searched so much, yet. But, can I contribute if I have some ideas? Are they proof read,validated? Who owns the contributions? What’s the deal compared to a Wiki? How do you earn money (seems like it’s ads)? If you go bankrupt, what will happen to all the articles?

I think MakeUseOf should have a suggestion box (or email address) where people like you can write in and give suggestions. However, there will need to be some rules in that as people may just spam.

And being a former MUO employee, I still get readers visiting my website and contacting me regarding the articles I have previously written, and I am always willing to help people out if they contact me.

Hey Jack,

in regards to suggestion box, we are going to add something similar to LifeHacker's tips sections in the future.

Aibek

• Jack Cola

Ah awesome.

Of course, if you have a specific idea you think you would like us to cover, you could email us individually or reply here - we are always looking for new sites or apps to cover.

Ragnar,

you can contribute to MakeUseOf by reading our articles, subscribing to our newsletter (yellow bar with Join button above), following us on Twitter and Facebook, downloading the PDF guides, leaving comments, providing feedback, answering questions, and referring us to your friends. If you're on the social networks, like our work and share it. All of these are very valuable contributions to MakeUseOf!

MakeUseOf does indeed earn money through ads. With more people visiting the site and contributing, the more we can grow and invest to provide more of the great content and better services. Popularity equals growth.

The main difference to a wiki is that we have a team of established writers who get paid, so not everyone can contribute. Also, all articles must be approved by the editorial team before publishing. Besides, our articles are different from material found on a wiki. And the entire content is owned by MakeUseOf.

What would happen if MakeUseOf ceased to exist? The content would probably still be partially available through the Internet Archive.

Tina summarized it pretty well. Nothing to add :-)