How can I have different content displayed on the homepage than in the actual article in WordPress?

Niks April 19, 2011

For example on the homepage the post is this:

XXXXXXX(title)
abcdefg ( some text )

But when the reader clicks ‘click here to read more’ or ‘continue reading’, the page should display this:

XXXXXXX(title)
uvwxyz

How can I do this?

1. Niks

Can i add images in the excerpt ?

You cannot add in image directly into the excerpt, but you can add one small feature image that is displayed next to the excerpt on the frontpage.

• Niks

Could you please tell me how can I do that .

to be more precise Niks, there are a few steps you need to do:

1. ensure your theme code is featured image compatible. you need to add a line or so to functions.php to do this, but i dont know it off the top of my head

2. make sure you set a featured thumbnail in your worpdress post.

3. enables excerpt editing for single post views - from the screen options pull down at top of edit screen, turn on excerpts.

4. in your main index.php template, replace the_content() with the_excerpt().

5. Add the_post_thumbnail() somewhere where you want thumbnail.

It's easy if you know how, and ill be writing a quick tutorial soon on how to use featured thumbnails and customize category views, but im afraid that for specific requests on your site it's difficult to help on an individual level.

• Niks

Well I dont know anything about html css & all that stuff .. Am using Ultimate Blogging Theme 3.0 .. Is that theme compatible with what you are saying ?

It is *compatible*, but you'll still need to edit the HTML/PHP, or get someone to do it for you I'm afraid.

Niks,

you can manually enter an excerpt of your article in WordPress. There should be a field for it at the bottom of the window in which you compose your article in WordPress. Or you might have to activate that feature, not sure.

You can read more about it here: http://codex.wordpress.org/Excerpt