What happens if I do not consent to an upgrade in Yahoo Mail due to privacy concerns?

uvas September 25, 2011

I noticed the “upgrade” in Yahoo Mail offers no opt out for their “scanning” of my private messages and I’m afraid of what might happen on Oct 14, 2011 if I do not consent to an upgrade. See this article:

http://digitizor.com/2011/07/09/yahoo-scan-users-emails/

Any good suggestions?

1. Yolande

I uploaded the yahoo messanger 11 upgrade and I could not connact any of my contacts.

2. uvas

I have been able to retain Yahoo Mail Classic past 10/14/2011 using this link:

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/ymail/context/migrationv2.html

Seriously, Makeusof should highlight the 1 answer that works on this thread, ppl are going round and round ...

3. Treebless

If you don't upgrade your yahoo mail by 10/14/11, you won't be able to access your account untill you upgrade it.  Yahoo is full of it!!!

4. reg

I'm thinking nobody in the US read even the first page of the new terms of service---if they did they would be spitting nails. I'm the only person I know who reads user agreements and as a result most of my free software like Adobe is totally out-of-date. I can't bring myself to "defend and indemnify" corporations against the actions of others, which is one of the nasties copied into all the user agreements now.  I am in the US and have been getting those countdown messages from Yahoo. I don't want to have my account frozen but I will never agree to the terms in the agreement for their new version. They are going to read all my e-mails, and share them with anyone they please, so that they can send me even more ads! Can anybody suggest a better service? I heard Gmail has a lot of privacy issues too.

thanks for the link

6. Mulder

That particular TOS applies only to UK accounts, and only to the 'New' Yahoo! Mail Beta; if you stick with Yahoo! Mail Classic, the ATOS doesn't apply at all. I'm sure there's a similar document for all the other countries where Yahoo! does business.

If you substitute 'us' for 'uk' in that URL in your browser bar and press Return, you'll be taken to a differnt URL for the U.S. which, although somewhat different, says essentially the same thing: that "content scanning" is only to serve you relevent ads, detect spam, and also allow certain things to be seen in the web interface, such as documents or images. Some of those things are already done under the current TOS, but the content scanning for ads and then sharing or transferring that information elsewhere only applies to the 'New' Yahoo! Mail Beta.

7. uvas

Ok i found it:

In the Help section under Yahoo Mail Classic -> Upgrade:
    Title: Do I have to migrate to the newest version of Yahoo! Mail?

Last Updated: 07 July 2011

... Please note that you'll continue to see prompts to upgrade to the newest
    version of Yahoo! Mail in the coming months, but Yahoo! Mail Classic
    will remain an option for you. Eventually, you will have the option to
    opt out of upgrading; and you will no longer see these prompts.

Let's hope that they keep their word. Thanks Mulder.

ps. if you use the search terms "privacy group yahoo mail scanning" on any search engine, it'll return dozens of articles / blogs on this privacy breach (ah ... new TOS). But you've never heard of it, they're all in UK. Nothing in the US where Yahoo! is headquartered.

8. uvas

Another thing: users have been getting deadlines in Aug, Sept & Oct. I wish those ppl whose deadline had passed wud tell what happened to them!

So not getting a deadline may just mean that it's not yet ur turn. Just a thought.

9. uvas

Mulder,

I do not use Y! Messenger, at least not that I'm aware of. (There's an annoying little box below my folders on the left hand column, I have no idea how to get rid of it so I set the status to 'invisible'.)

Do you use Yahoo US? I ask b/c someone said they use !Y Japan & they had no such deadline.

Here is the message -- an extra page that i have to get thru every time log in:

"The countdown has begun.
    Please upgrade to the newest version of Yahoo! Mail by 10-14-2011. It's easy. We'll transfer everything for you.

...
    If you don't upgrade now, you will get this message at every session until 10-14-2011. You may use Yahoo! Mail Classic, but we strongly encourage you to either upgrade to the newest version of Yahoo! Mail or review Yahoo! Mail Help for other options."

They didn't specify the "else" option, if I don't upgrade by Oct 14 then what? The msg said to "review Y! Mail Help" but I found nothing but the exact same copy of warning ...

Such TOS had generated criticism in the UK. but not 1 complaint in the US. I'm surprised privacy groups found it a-okay.

• Mulder

Yes, I use Yahoo! U.S., and I've yet to get that message when I login. However, if you're in Europe and some other countries, Yahoo! has to follow the local laws regarding privacy, and most of them forbid this type of activity; they also forbid Yahoo! and other email providers from charging people who were using the service before a certain date.

If you're using Yahoo! Mail Classic and don't want to use the "New" version (which is slower, at least for me), you actually can stay with Classic, even though they will convert you to the new version after October 14 2011. The way you do that is to email their customer support people (through their web site) and tell them that you do not want your account converted to the new version of Yahoo! Mail under any circumstances; that you want to stay with Yahoo! Mail Classic until you tell them otherwise.

They can prevent this; they just don't tell you this or admit it can be done. But they did it for me and it was no problem.

10. Mulder

If you read the ATOS carefully (the blogger didn't) there's a distinction that's being overlooked: it says it applies to users of Yahoo! Messenger. So, the obvious solution is to stop using Yahoo! Messenger and just continue using Mail as always.

I have a Yahoo! Mail account, and I've received no such notice, which is required by law before they can implement that feature on anyone. Since I haven't received one, I can only presume at this point that I'm not subject to that ATOS.

But if you keep using Yahoo! Messenger, you have accepted the ATOS; however, the ability for Yahoo! to project acceptance of the ATOS onto those who communicate with you by requiring you to notify everyone who might communicate at some point now or in the future seems legally dubious. I suspect if challenged, a court would render it null and void.

But if you don't want them scanning anything, no matter what, encrypt all your email, and stop using SMS services.

If you don't agree with Yahoo's EULA, switch services. I assume after October 14th they will freeze your account until you accept it.