How can I connect to the wireless network in Ubuntu?
Question by Shawn H /

I just installed Ubuntu 11.04 and I can’t get the wireless to connect. I have an Acer Aspire 7552G-5430 laptop. I can turn the wireless on, but it doesn’t auto detect any networks which I know is working as all my other laptops and iPhones are connected. Also the same laptop connects wirelessly when booted to Windows. Any ideas?

• Alchsa

the iPhone tethers an ubuntu netbook only for about a min, then ubuntu disconnects, however iPhone claims it’s connected. This is so frustrating and so disapointing from ubuntu Linux such that doesn’t fail to let a user down everytime! Ubuntu blames iPhone, I would be more quick to blame apple computer for willfully & knowingly rejecting Linux as a way to bully those who r only trying to help those with less. For such reason I refuse to purchase an apple product with the exeption of iPhone which we r stuck with by our SP’s who offer them for next to nothing. If apple would stop being such tight wads and stop hindering linux users even through our iPhones perhaps they would sell more hardware regardless of what OS that hardware runs! Apple are acting like a bunch of snobby ignorant, incosoderate idiots for bullying Linux. Damn apple computer company!

Connect to a wired network and then try this link.
    It should automatically install wireless drivers that should work for your system.  May require a restart (I haven’t run into problems with wireless, so I’m not sure about that).

• Gavin Kimpson

I am having problems connecting to the internet on my Acer Aspire 110AB netbook with Ubuntu 11.04 – I can connect via the network cable but never connects via wireless unless I actually turn off ALL WEP/WPA security.

Can anyone suggest some ideas to connect wirelessly but still be able have my WPA encryption as I don’t really want to turn this off obviously. Cheers

I suggest that you post a new question. Please click the Ask a Question button on top of the Answers front page and fill in the question form. Thank you!

• guest

Gavin that’s unfortunate! I had the same problem but only running the live CD or USB startup disk but that was in onler versions which would only connect once installed permanently in a machine’s hard disk, I foi d that somewhat controling of ubuntu although 10.10 allowed it on laptops only but still not on desktop PC’s or netbooks however 11.04 allows both laptops and netbooks now at least from my perspective, I have an old Asus net book, the network icon shows available networks, I click on mine, I enter the security key and voila, I am on and ready for anything. I hear your complaint an all I can think of is that sadly ubuntu is not supporting your particular type of wireless network adapter the same way I suspect it doesn’t support the iPhone’s tethering contrary to their blaming apple computer like I just did on here a few moments ago, (WOOOPS). Try a different network adapter like one that you’d add, I am talkin about those cheap but newer USB dongle types! :)

• The Old Sarge

the http://www.atheros is for windows 7. The ubuntugeek site was for ubuntu 8. Any other thoughts?

you can connect you with an ethernet cable, do it, normally you will be connected to the internet automatically.

Then, start the procedure for to connect you to wifi and normally, Ubuntu will ask download klike madwifi, ath, and all drivers, acceptedand leave to settle them, then once everything is completed, déconnecte from the ethernet cable and connected to wifi. If it’s not working, restart ubuntu.

you can try this procedure

• The Old Sarge

Hi Tina,
    I did all the Ubuntu updates and the restricted drivers for the graphics card but it didn’t ask me to install anything for the wireless while I had it hard wired. Is there a secret Ubuntu updater I don’t know about?

did you install the correct drivers for the wireless network adapter?

• The Old Sarge

Hi Bruce,
    It’s an Atheros AR5B97 Wireless Network Adapter.

What is the manufacturer and model number of your wireless adapter/chipset?