How can I connect to my wireless network with Ubuntu 10?

Ari April 20, 2011

I am an annoyed Windows Vista user. One of my friends told me about Ubuntu. I installed it in my USB stick to familiarize myself with Linux world and used it on Toshiba X205-S980. Loved every moment. I recently bought another Toshiba L650-B2TN15. Windows connect to wireless but not the Ubuntu 10 (the stable version).

Should I try Ubuntu 11.04 or change settings of wireless card (I think it is Raeltek 801.11 b/g/n)? I don’t want to use Windows … please help.

1. Ari.

Hi Tina.

I just wanted to let you know that I installed Ubuntu 11.04 and my laptop is working fine. I guess, it was the software contradiction. Thanks for your help. Cheers.

Thank you for the feedback, Ari!

3. Ari

I simply used pendrive and installed Ubuntu 10 on the USB stick, and then plugged it in to my laptop. It worked with my other Toshiba laptop. I used wired connection using ethernet cable. I saw some waves in the connection icon, and then got the message "disconnected". Could it be that I have N and the Verizon's router is G? Also I did not see Hardware drivers under Administration.

Thanks for your help, Tina.

Ari,

did you install Ubuntu drivers for your wireless network adapter?

This is taken from a previous answer by Justin to a similar question:
    Plug in via ethernet, then click "System" followed by "Administration" followed by "Hardware Drivers." Your wireless networks should then show up, if you click the networking icon, near the clock.