How can I connect my TV to my wireless network?

Matt July 28, 2010

I have a TV that has an Ethernet port, but my house is not wired throughout. I would like to connect my TV via my wireless network, but the wireless adapters for the TV are very expensive ($150-200).

Are there any relatively inexpensive ways to capture the wireless signal and connect to the TV’s Ethernet port?

1. Thomas

my tv doesnt have an earthnet port but i want too hook it up to my wireless router. how can i do that?

• Ken

Hi Thomas,
      I have a similar query.
      Ken

2. Neeniti8

USB device for Sharp Aquos does not work for me

3. AlK

I have tried connecting my laptop to my tv with s-video cable or HDMI, but what really bothers me is are the connection and re-connection of the cables....

I got a USB device that does it wirelessly, and it does it amazingly!

check it out here: http://bit.ly/ettIn0

If you have a spare router, you could always turn it into to an wireless access point.

Or connect a computer to it that has to network cards (2 LAN's, or Lan and Wireless) and bridge the connection between the computer and your own network. By having a computer, you could also connect your computer to the TV, so you can use the TV as a monitor which gives you a whole great range of functionality for your TV

• Mike Osbourne

How would I turn a spare router into an access point?  Can wireless routers receive a wireless signal (i.e. from another router) as well as emit a wireless signal?

• Jack Cola

Most routers can't turn an Wireless Signal and repeat it. You're looking for a repeater or Wireless Range Extender if you want that functionality. The only way you can turn a spare router into an access point if you connect a LAN cable from your Modem/Router/Switch to your spare router.

5. Jessica Cam W.

If you're trying to stream, say, Hulu to your TV, you can try a Media Center, such as Boxee or by using a game console. Media centers basically let you use your laptop with your remote control so you can sort of watch TV online.

6. William Brand

I'm sorry, first of all, why would a TV have an ethernet port? Does it have a built in web browser or something? Make sure you actually need the functionality before spending money.

Anyway, the device you're looking for is called a "wireless bridge" or an "acess point." It accepts a wireless signal to convert it to an ethernet jack and/or re-broadcast it so more people can hop on further away. One like this should work for your whatever you need: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320025

If you want a better explanation of what it can do, check out Asus' official page on it: http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=9H8EmdWucHDpYOb8&templete=2

• Chadneyann

your answer is very helpful. . . would I connect this device to the back of my tv?  I have a panasonic flat screen.

• Chadneyann

• Chadneyann