How can I connect my TV to my wireless network?
Question by Matt /

I have a TV that has an Ethernet port, but my house is not wired throughout. I would like to connect my TV via my wireless network, but the wireless adapters for the TV are very expensive ($150-200).

Are there any relatively inexpensive ways to capture the wireless signal and connect to the TV’s Ethernet port?

• Thomas

my tv doesnt have an earthnet port but i want too hook it up to my wireless router. how can i do that?

• Neeniti8

USB device for Sharp Aquos does not work for me

• AlK

I have tried connecting my laptop to my tv with s-video cable or HDMI, but what really bothers me is are the connection and re-connection of the cables….

I got a USB device that does it wirelessly, and it does it amazingly!

check it out here: http://bit.ly/ettIn0

• Jack Cola

If you have a spare router, you could always turn it into to an wireless access point.

Or connect a computer to it that has to network cards (2 LAN’s, or Lan and Wireless) and bridge the connection between the computer and your own network. By having a computer, you could also connect your computer to the TV, so you can use the TV as a monitor which gives you a whole great range of functionality for your TV

• Mike Osbourne

How would I turn a spare router into an access point?  Can wireless routers receive a wireless signal (i.e. from another router) as well as emit a wireless signal?

• Jack Cola

Most routers can’t turn an Wireless Signal and repeat it. You’re looking for a repeater or Wireless Range Extender if you want that functionality. The only way you can turn a spare router into an access point if you connect a LAN cable from your Modem/Router/Switch to your spare router.

• Jessica Cam W.

If you’re trying to stream, say, Hulu to your TV, you can try a Media Center, such as Boxee or by using a game console. Media centers basically let you use your laptop with your remote control so you can sort of watch TV online.

• William Brand

I’m sorry, first of all, why would a TV have an ethernet port? Does it have a built in web browser or something? Make sure you actually need the functionality before spending money.

Anyway, the device you’re looking for is called a “wireless bridge” or an “acess point.” It accepts a wireless signal to convert it to an ethernet jack and/or re-broadcast it so more people can hop on further away. One like this should work for your whatever you need: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320025

If you want a better explanation of what it can do, check out Asus’ official page on it: http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=9H8EmdWucHDpYOb8&templete=2

• Chadneyann

your answer is very helpful. . . would I connect this device to the back of my tv?  I have a panasonic flat screen.

• Chadneyann

• Chadneyann