How can I connect subwoofer and speakers to my computer?
Question by ashutosh /

How can I connect my MRON subwoofer and two speakers given with it to my computer? Is there any audio driver required after connecting it into computer?

• Bryan Pillips

Please don’t listen to Brad Haskovec. The moron couldn’t hoo up my sisters home theater. I had to sit him down and take over. The guy is an idiot.

• Dave Hilling II

MRON Subwoofers should have their own amp built in, thus you should only need your own sound card’s drivers. I will assume that your card has the correct plugs already, but without knowing what type of card you have, I can’t provide any more than that.

• Brad Haskovec

There are a number of ways you can hook up your computer to an amp/speakers/stereo, the easiest of which is to simply connect your headphone jack on your computer to your AUX component on your amp or stereo…this kind of cord is easily found at almost any electronics store.  Make sure you change your sound settings through the Control Panel so that you get the best sound using your sound system.  You can also buy other devices, such as Apple’s Airport Express (also works on Windows) to use … in that case, it uses your wireless network to send the sound to your stereo.  (In case you don’t want to use iTunes if you use the Airport Express, use a program such as Airfoil to let you use any other software to run to the Express.)  You can hook up just one set of speakers, or a whole house full of speakersa and sync the music from your computer to all ofo the different speakers and computers using software like Airfoil…it is just a matter of using the right software.

Subwoofers generally need an amp to drive them, no? I’m afraid your computer cannot act as an amplifier, it will only supply a line level output. This means the line level from the computer must be fed into an amplifier, which will in turn change the line level into power enough for the speakers. 

If you dont know whether or not they need an amp, it’s pretty easy to tell by looking at the cable. Do they come with a regular headphone cable attached to them, or do they need to plugged in with speaker wire? If speaker wire is needed, you certainly need an amplifier. If it’s a regular headphone type plug, just stick it in the green socket on the back of a pc, or on a mac the one with an arrow pointing out of it. 

• Mike DeGeorge

if you’re using a laptop, just hook it up to the laptop’s headphone socket. but, if you have a desktop, then, there should be corresponding color(s). just hook them up with their colors and you should be good to go. if you just have one plug, then again, hook it up to the corresponding color.