How can I connect my Seagate drive to my Blu-Ray Player?

Shak November 12, 2011

I have two different portable hard drives, one is a Samsung, the other a Seagate. My problem is that the Samsung HD I have connects to my Blu-Ray player without problem, but I am unable to copy files that are larger than 4 gigs over to the Samsung HD. That’s why I bought the Seagate, but the Blu-Ray won’t read the Seagate drive. Any thoughts on why it won’t work?

1. Shakz

Thanx so much for your reply. Managed to get it sorted. U are right abt my Samsung being Fat32 but when I got my seagate drive I formatted it to fat32 and still manage to copy large files over but player could not read it.

I have now reformatted it to ntfs and it works fine.

Thanx so much taking time off to reply to my thread man!

Kind regards,
    Shak

no problem, I am glad you sorted your problem out.

Hello, the reason it is not possible to copy files over 4GB to your Samsung HD is because it is formatted with fat32.  In order for you to copy files bigger than that size you would need the NTFS file format, but most bluray players will not accept NTFS formatted drives.  Some do though.....you have to check your bluray player manual to check on that. 

Check the format of your seagate drive.  Connect it to your computer and look at the properties of your drive from computer/my computer.  If it is formatted with NTFS(most of them are), you can format it to fat32.  You can either use disk management to format it to fat32 or you could try the convert tool.  Keep in mind that when you format the drive you will loose the information on it.  If you decide to use the convert tool you would have to do the following:

-- click on start
    -- type cmd in search box
    -- type the following:

convert x: /fs:fat32

in the above command the x represents your drive letter

More info on convert command:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/214579