Why can I connect to my router, but not the Internet?
Question by Hassan /

I have an Acer Aspire 5333-2418 and I am now having trouble with my Internet connection both at home and at my University. The problem is, my computer can see the connection, and says that the signal is “excellent” but If I try to connect, I have no Internet connection. It used to work just yesterday with no problems, but now when I connect to a router, it simply says, “No Internet access.”

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , , ; or ask your own question.

• Christopher Patton

MALWARE! 
    Run a malware cleaner and antivirus. 
    If it worked the day before and now doesnt, odds are it isnt a settings issue but rather a software problem.

You could not connect to internet in the library, that means where other computer could, your failed, so the fault must be in your pc.

Try disabling firewalls.
    pause/disable/exit antivirus.

You have windows 7 ? so I dont think installing updates will work, but still try to install updates.

Hello, probably you only have local access to your network.  Do you use wireless or ethernet when using your computer at your University or home.  Have you used the ipconfig command on command prompt to check what the ip address for your computer’s adapters are(wireless and ethernet)?  If you check, do you have an Ip address starting with 169.254.xxx.xxx?  If you want to check by using ipconfig, try the following:

— click on start (orb)
    — if using windows 7/vista, type cmd on search, if using XP click on start, click on run and then type cmd
    — when command prompt opens type the following:

ipconfig /all

This command should show you your ip address for your wireless and wired connections
    Do you have an address starting with 169.254.xxx.xxx?

If you do, you could try the following:

— following the steps above type the following on command prompt and press enter after each command:

— ipconfig /flushdns

— ipconfig /release

— ipconfig /renew

The first command will flush the entries for DNS, the second command should release whatever address your computer is using, and the last command should give you a new ip address.  Try opening your browser and see if you can get online.  Remember, it is also very important to type the correct password for your network at University and at home.  Let me know if it works or not