How can I connect to my PC’s DSL internet connection with my laptop using Bluetooth?
Question by izhar /

I have a PC. I am using Windows XP SP2. I have a DSL connection. I want to connect internet on my HP notebook with Bluetooth from the PC’s DSL connection. My HP has built-in Bluetooth. How can I do it?

Izhar,

could you set up the internet connection the way you wanted to with the advice above? Let us know how it worked for you. Thank you!

Windows XP SP2 does have support to establish a PAN (personal area network)
    connection between 2 PCs over Bluetooth. Here are some instructions on how
    to set this up:

PAN “Server”:
    1) Go to Control Panel
    2) When in “Classic View”, click on “Network and Internet Connections”
    3) Open “Bluetooth Devices”
    4) Switch to the “Options” tab
    5) Check the box for “Turn discovery on”
    6) Click OK

PAN Client:
    1) Open the “Network Connections” folder
    2) Right-click on the “Bluetooth Network Connection” and choose “View
    Bluetooth Network Devices”
    3) Click on the “Add…” button
    4) Check the box for “My device is set up and ready to be found” and click
    “Next >”
    5) After the flashlight stops searching, select the machine acting as the
    PAN “Server” and click “Next >”
    6) Select “Choose a passkey for me” and click “Next >”
    7) Take note of the “Passkey:” shown on this screen

PAN “Server”:
    Note: You have approximately 30 seconds to finish the next 3 steps.
    1) A pop-up notification should appear from the system tray which states “A
    Bluetooth device is requesting to connect to your computer.”
    2) Click on the pop-up notification
    3) Enter the same “Passkey:” that you had noted on the PAN Client and click
    “Next >”
    4) Click “Finish”

PAN Client:
    1) Click “Finish”
    2) Select the machine acting as the PAN “Server” and click “Connect”

You now have a PAN (Ethernet) connection established between the two
    machines. After about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, both machines will have assigned
    themselves an auto-configured TCP/IP address and then you can start using
    the network connection.

or
    How to share your internet connection via Bluetooth to another desktop or laptop
    http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=1285

• Val

Hi there, I have adsl wireless modem connected to my PC for internet and works fine. I would like to use my HP laptop which I see have a wireless option (icon) to connect to the internet. What do I need to get wireless connection for internet and how do I install or do the connection. Tx. Val. My e-mail is vklue@hotmail.com

Windows XP Internet Connection Sharing
      http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/

Do you have a wireless adapter on the desktop? If so you can create an ‘ad-hoc’ network. Then you bridge the adhoc connection with the cable connection and you’re set.

Ad Hoc Networks
      http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/edtech/presenter/doc/adhoc.html

If you don’t have a wireless adapter, you could just go out and buy a wireless router. Plug the cable connection from the modem into the router’s WAN, and the PC into one of the router’s LAN ports. The laptop can wirelessly connect to the router

Setting up a WIFI Hotspot

1)To start setting up your mobile hotspot, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center and click on “Set up a connection or network.”

2)On the next dialog, select “Set up a wireless ad-hoc network.”
      3)Enter a name for your new network, select WEP privacy, and set a password. Then click “Save this network.” Let your friends know the name of your network, and the password to access it.
      A word about the Security type – WEP is an older protocol and is not the most secure. I suggest selecting WEP rather than a stronger protocol because it will allow older laptops and handhelds to connect to your network. WEP is better in a mixed environment, and ad-hoc networks are intended to be networks of convenience, or in other words, temporary. If you have a permanent need to share an Internet connection, it would be more sensible to buy a WIFI router.
      4)Click Next and select “Turn on Internet connection sharing.” This creates the wireless network and enables Internet Connection Sharing.
      5)At this point, Vista is ready to share the default internet connection. This is probably the Ethernet connection, but we want to share the wireless card connection instead. On my Vista laptop, the wireless connection is called “National Access – Broadband Access.”
      Again, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network Sharing Center, and then click on “Manage network connections.” Right-click your wireless device and select “Properties.” Vista may ask for permission to continue.
      Click on the “Sharing” tab and select “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s internet connection” and click OK.
      And this sets up your portable hotspot in Vista.
      To use it, first connect to the Internet wirelessly using the usual method on your laptop. Then once you’re connected, go to Start -> Connect To and click your new network name under Wireless Network Connection. If all goes well, Vista will report “The [network] is ready to use” and inform you that the network is broadcasting and will stay active until everyone disconnects from it.
      Read more:

• Gustavo Ibargüengoytia

I am not exactly sure why you would want to do that, bluetooth has a very slow data transfer speed, even the fastest and most modern Bluetooth hardware and standars (v 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.0 +HS, 4.0) are slower than a normal Wi-Fi connection (Bluetooth will be ~half as fast). If you want to do this because you don’t have a Wireless router I can, kind of, get your point, but it would be a much better investment to get a Wireless Router than a DLS-to-Bluetooth router because of the speed and the range of the signal (specially if you are indoors). And if you can get a wired connection from your DSL modem to your PC, Netbook, Notebook or any other device it would be even better.

If you still want a DSL-to-Bluetooth connection this is what I found:
    1.- Have a PC connected to the DSL modem.
    2.- The PC should have a Bluetooth emitter. There are USB adapters for that.
    3.- Pair up the PC and your HP notebook.
    4.- Configure the notebook to connect to the Internet through another computer and select the PC with the bluetooth signal.
    5.- Don’t take this the wrong way, but, hope it works, this type of connection might be very slow, inconsistent, unreliable and can put some stress on the PC-end.

I know some bluetooth USB adapters that will allow you to connect your computer are really cheap but no way it will be better than a Wi-Fi router.

If you want to go with the Bluetooth option first check the built-in adapter in your notebook to see what standards can it use and get the appropriate USB adapter. If you choose the Wi-Fi option check your notebook’s Wi-Fi adapter to see if it’s 802.11 A, B, G or N and get a Wi-Fi router that is compatible with your notebook’s standards. You can get really check ones at http://www.amazon.com or even e-Bay.

• Gustavo Ibargüengoytia

Actually you can even try to get a Wi-FI router for free from your ISP. Try it!