How To Connect PC to TV

Patterson February 16, 2010

How do I connect my pc to a television. Please advice.

My laptop has a DVI output, but it came with a converter to convert it to VGA, which I then plug that cable directly into my TV, same with the audio.

A important note in the article that Aibek mentioned was that you might have to use a key combination to switch displays. For my laptop, it is FN+F3 key. By holding down the FN key and pressing F3, I can select an output for my laptop. These are:
    LCD Only (just the laptop screen)
    LCD + CRT (laptop and tv screen)
    CRT Only (just the tv screen)

If you choose both, you have the option to "Extend Your Desktop" or "Clone Your Desktop" (This setting can be found in the display settings on your laptop.

Extending your desktop means that your laptop will have its normal screen, but you can move your mouse to the right and it will show on the TV screen. You can also maximise windows there. So you can be watching a movie in Windows Media player on your TV, while on Make Use Of, Facebook, or MSN (or even my website) at the same time.

It depends on your computer (or a laptop) and the type of TV you have. Basically, there are 5 different types of cables/connections you will have to choose from. These are (with picture quality ranging from highest to lowest):

- HDMI
    - DVI
    - VGA
    - S-Video
    - Composite/RCA

MakeUseOf has published a detailed easy-to-follow guide about, see link below.

How To Connect A Laptop To A TV