Can I connect my PC to TV via HDMI?
Question by PAUL /

I have a Packard Bell PC upstairs and a Sony Bravia TV about 15 metres away downstairs with my home hub 1 metre away from the PC. I know I can connect the TV to my hub with an Ethernet cable to get the Internet (i.e. BBC iPlayer, YouTube etc) but can I also connect my PC to the TV with an HDMI cable to use its functions also?

I’m running Windows Vista, not sure if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , ; or ask your own question.

• SnapTV

You can stream the content stored on your PC to the TV screen. It is a good idea to read the user manual provided by Sony to understand the process to connect your TV and computer. Here is something interesting

• Philbert Desenex

HDMI wire is cheap and all the same, it either works or it doesn’t. A wireless setup will work and eliminate the wire, but you will have times when interference will create lag.

• DalSan Mack—c-14000.aspx 50 ft cables from $16-70 would give you the distance, but using a wireless transmitter might give you better freedom, though quality would not be as good. This is an older article so pricing well be different (lower), but the setup is the same: Having direct line-of-site from PC to TV would offer best results, but may be manageable if you get a strong enough transmitter and receiver.

• justin

yes u can, just check out a video on youtube.

• Dimal Chandrasiri

you can connect the tv but, what my question is, will you be able to control the computer sitting infront of the tv down stairs!

• Dave Rimmer

Yes you can no problem as long as you PC has an HDMI slot. If you cah connect a Lan to you TV then take a look here as you Bravia may have this function, Download XBMC for the PC.

Looking at this myself…

• Benjamin Trotter

Yes just make sure your TV is on the proper input channel.

• Adrian Rea

I am sure you can link the two up together and use it as a monitor, much like I do with a VGA cable. I have a Bravia with both hdmi and vga ports. I link my laptop to it. The only consideration is the maximum distance the cable can handle.

• Jack Cola

Sure you can connect your computer to a PC, however, a 15 meter HDMI cable will be extremely expensive. In fact, I am not sure they even exist, and if you can get one, it will be incredibly expensive

What I recommend is to get another computer and connect it to your TV and enable File Sharing between the two devices. So the files on your main computer can be accessed through your laptop – that’s what I do.