How do I connect to a new cellular network after unlocking my iPhone 5?

Uko I July 9, 2014

My iPhone 5 is refusing to send SMS and also cannot connect to the Internet. It was originally locked to Sprint USA and I opted to have it chipped. But after doing that all the Sprint cellular data settings are there and it refuses to connect to the new carrier’s cellular network. I have tried to install a new configuration profile through the iPhone configuration utility but nothing has changed. How can I get the phone to send SMS and connect to cellular data network?
Thanks.

1. Rostyslav G

Just plug in to iTunes and then input your sim card
    digitalunlocking.com

You might have to manually input the APN and SMS central settings for your new carrier. Those settings can be set within Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Network.

This is where things get tricky:
    Those options are only available if they were unlocked by the provider respectively, no supported provider was detected in the first. You might have to your iPhone off and on again, you might have to connect your iPhone to iTunes, maybe even factory restore it for the options to appear.

* Be aware that any software unlock will be removed by restoring the firmware and a newer iOS firmware e.g. update might not be unlockable even by chip/SIM/SIM-tray means.

Personally, I would suggest you ask whoever unlocked your iPhone in whichever way to fix it.

• Uko I

Thanks Jan F,
      Your response was helpful. That means i will have to find a way to factory unlock the phone.

• Jan F

If your new network is a GSM network Sprint should be able to unlock the GSM (SIM-part) of the phone for use with another carrier.

For CDMA carriers forums suggest to just sell the phone as it doesn't seem like you will get it unlocked for domestic networks.
      As far as I have read the lock is programmed into the radio firmware and even the Master Subsidy Lock code will fail unlocking it. The Sprint unlocking policy doesn't include that unlock and Apple has contracts with carriers prohibit them to overrule such locks.

3. Slade G

Your topic and your description of the problem are technically two different things. Connecting to the data portion of a network is different than connecting to the voice portion of a carrier's network. They connect and transmit on different segments. If you're able to make voice calls, but not send and receive data as the description of your post suggests then you have an APN issue. When the phone was unlocked, it most likely reset all of your APN information or it could be something as simple as MMS being turned off.

For MMS the apn is cinet.spcs
    username and password leave blank
    MMSC: http://mms.sprintpcs.com/servlets/mms
    MMS Proxy: 68.28.31.7:80
    MMS Max Size leave blank

• Uko I

Thanks Slade for your response.