How can I connect to the network with Ubuntu 10.40?

Myke46 August 13, 2010

I have a “factory”copy of Ubuntu 10.40, which I received from Ubuntu. I have never used anything but Windows, so I want to do a trial run before I decide whether to install it or not. The problem I’m having is that I can’t connect to my network through Ubuntu. Is there a secret trick to connect? I would really appreciate any help

1. Kevro2000

I've been attmpting to use 10.4 w/my wireless... it just doesn't work, but it will work w/a cable. I installed Ubuntu ver9 on another machine, and the wireless works perfectly.

Hey Myke46,

So did you manage to connect toy your network from Ubuntu 10.4? Did you find the above tips helpful? Let us know.

Aibek

3. jhpot

Just so you know: it's Ubuntu 10.04. It's named for the year (10) and the month (April) it's released. Neat, huh?

Now to your problem. Are you trying to connect wirelessly, or are you plugged in via Ethernet? If you're plugged in everything should work, but sometimes for a wireless connection you'll need to install drivers. Plug in via ethernet, then click "System" followed by "Administration" followed by "Hardware Drivers." You're wireless networks should then show up if you click the networking icon, near the clock.