How can I connect multiple routers to extend my wireless network’s range?
Question by Justine-Paula Robilliard /

I need to extend the range of the router Netgear DGN2200M as it does not cover the part of the house where my laptop is.

Router 1: Netgear DGN 2200M v2 This is where the adls line from the ISP is connected.
Router 2: Netgear DG843G v4 This is the router I would like to use to connect my laptop once it is “bridged”

So the router flow would be: internet>>router 1>>>router 2 [bridge]

I have tried so many solutions, if there is a simple solution, please can you help me, it would be so gratefully accepted.

I am not sure where I am going wrong, maybe there is a setting on router 1 I am missing. Or maybe the SSID’s incorrect.

Browse other questions & answers in the category , ; tagged , , ; or ask your own question.

• Justine

I have tried every possible combination, I have done what the manual suggests, there is no password on either router, same channel number, same SSID, and nothing, grrrh, where am I going wrong???

• Jim Chambers

See page 94 of manual available here http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/DGN2200M/DGN2200M_UM_04Nov11.pdf
    Follow directions for Repeater with Wireless Client Association using DGN2200M as the parent and other router as child

• Justine

Hi Mike,
    As the 2nd router as I see it will be in my bedroom, I can connect it to my laptop via ethernet cabel, that would be fine. I have tried and tried everything to get the 2 wireless routers to see each other, as everything I have read says they should be talking to each other, I suspect I am the “monkey” with a giant wrench mucking things up.

It bugs me no end that it is not working… grrrh.
    I will need guidance, thank you for offering….

• Mike Flannery

Hi Justine,

What bridging does may not be what you want it to do.
    Connecting each router to the other wireless via bridging is effectively the same thing as joining them with a network cable. However once you use bridging you will only be able to plug one device into the 2nd router and will not be able to connect to it wireless.
    Do you intend to connect to the 2nd router wirelessly with your laptop? If you what you need to use is repeater mode if your 2nd router can do it.
    Essentially you would setup wireless on your first router as normally.
    Then when if you would change your second router to repeater mode (if it has it).
    You would give it the wireless access details to connect to the first router and then allow it to forward on the same wireless settings or setup different SSID and password. Easiest is to let it use the same details.
    Not all router have this repeater mode in my experience it’s usually only dedicated wireless access points which have this.
    If you need more info on setting up the bridged mode scenario I can assist.
    Hope this helps.

Mike

• Nathan Labbe

I’ve tried a service called Connectify that might help you.

I agree with Elrick, get an access point. It will be cheaper, and you will not have to worry about DHCP conflicts.

• Theo Reisinger

You could try connecting another router through a (ethernet) wire

• Alex Perkins

See if there is a “extender mode” in your routers options.

• Justine-Paula Robilliard

I read that, and many other pages, everyone talks about disabling the DHCP of the 2nd router, MAC addressed, I have tried all this and no dice.

I have updated the firmware of the 2nd router, it has wireless bridging support in the updated firmwire now, I have put the correct MAC address in, and nothing, I have switched off the wireless card on my alptop, and ethernet into the 2nd router.

What I do not know is if there is a light that comes on the 2nd router to tell me I have internet. So far everything points to it not working, and yet the paperwork, the websites all say it should work… grrrh.