How can I connect multiple routers to extend my wireless network’s range?

Justine-Paula Robilliard October 7, 2012

I need to extend the range of the router Netgear DGN2200M as it does not cover the part of the house where my laptop is.

Router 1: Netgear DGN 2200M v2 This is where the adls line from the ISP is connected.
Router 2: Netgear DG843G v4 This is the router I would like to use to connect my laptop once it is “bridged”

So the router flow would be: internet>>router 1>>>router 2 [bridge]

I have tried so many solutions, if there is a simple solution, please can you help me, it would be so gratefully accepted.

I am not sure where I am going wrong, maybe there is a setting on router 1 I am missing. Or maybe the SSID’s incorrect.

1. Justine

I have tried every possible combination, I have done what the manual suggests, there is no password on either router, same channel number, same SSID, and nothing, grrrh, where am I going wrong???

See page 94 of manual available here
    Follow directions for Repeater with Wireless Client Association using DGN2200M as the parent and other router as child

3. Justine

Hi Mike,
    As the 2nd router as I see it will be in my bedroom, I can connect it to my laptop via ethernet cabel, that would be fine. I have tried and tried everything to get the 2 wireless routers to see each other, as everything I have read says they should be talking to each other, I suspect I am the "monkey" with a giant wrench mucking things up.

It bugs me no end that it is not working... grrrh.
    I will need guidance, thank you for offering....

4. Mike Flannery

Hi Justine,

What bridging does may not be what you want it to do.
    Connecting each router to the other wireless via bridging is effectively the same thing as joining them with a network cable. However once you use bridging you will only be able to plug one device into the 2nd router and will not be able to connect to it wireless.
    Do you intend to connect to the 2nd router wirelessly with your laptop? If you what you need to use is repeater mode if your 2nd router can do it.
    Essentially you would setup wireless on your first router as normally.
    Then when if you would change your second router to repeater mode (if it has it).
    You would give it the wireless access details to connect to the first router and then allow it to forward on the same wireless settings or setup different SSID and password. Easiest is to let it use the same details.
    Not all router have this repeater mode in my experience it's usually only dedicated wireless access points which have this.
    If you need more info on setting up the bridged mode scenario I can assist.
    Hope this helps.

5. Nathan Labbe

I've tried a service called Connectify that might help you.

I agree with Elrick, get an access point. It will be cheaper, and you will not have to worry about DHCP conflicts.

7. Theo Reisinger

You could try connecting another router through a (ethernet) wire

8. Alex Perkins

See if there is a "extender mode" in your routers options.

9. Justine-Paula Robilliard

I read that, and many other pages, everyone talks about disabling the DHCP of the 2nd router, MAC addressed, I have tried all this and no dice.

I have updated the firmware of the 2nd router, it has wireless bridging support in the updated firmwire now, I have put the correct MAC address in, and nothing, I have switched off the wireless card on my alptop, and ethernet into the 2nd router.

What I do not know is if there is a light that comes on the 2nd router to tell me I have internet. So far everything points to it not working, and yet the paperwork, the websites all say it should work... grrrh.

10. GrrGrrr
  11. Justine

Hi Rik,
    I am not seeing any of the replies on the page, only on my email..

Both solutions you suggest require router 1 to be cabled linked to router 2, thus defeating the object, I cannot run hundred feet of ethernet cable from the office to my bedroom. I need to use wireless, am I thinking clearly????

ADSL internet--->Router 1: office-router 2: bedroom

12. Rik

first sollution: (gives the least problems, but you'll need one of the LAN ports of the second router)
    first hook the router directly to your computer, and check which IP-address the router has (would be the default gateway in most of the times, check it with cmd, ipconfig) and navigate to that address in a browser of your choice. find the DHCP server of this router, and turn it off. after that, you could just plug 1 end of the UTP cable in one of the LAN ports on your main router, and the other end in one of the LAN ports of the second (new) router. and everything will work, all computers can communicate with each other.

second solution: (needs a little more administration)
    plug one end of the UTP cable in the LAN ports of your main router, and plug the other end in the WAN port of the second router. from than all devices connected to the second router can communicate with the other computers on the main router, but not vice versa... and you'll have to do a double port forward, if you need to forward ports.

i hope i didn't forget anything...

13. Justine

Both routers receive and transmit signal, as they are outers, both have ADSL in from the copper telephone cable and my laptop can send and receive data from the internet, hence the transmit and receive.

So if this is the case, surely router 1, the adsl connected router sends/receives data from router 2, bedroom router [no adsl connected], or am I just wrong. :(

So if this is the case, that both transmit and receive then what have I done wrong??

14. Bhavuk Jain

Since your router only transmit the signals and doesn't receive the signals. So, it might not be possible to extend the range wirelessly. You will have to use another internet line in your home.

15. Aj Qureshi

Depending on your AP the setup might be different. But in general go with WDS, it's the most easy thing to do. Just put in the MAC address of one AP in another and wise versa. If you're running dd-wrt I can share the complete seup with you.

If you go with the Universal bridge, you'll be pushing IPs via your primary AP which would be on DHCP.

16. Justine

Hi James,
    The problem is that my bedroom is quite some distance from the adsl router, Router 1, so using a cable is not possible, I have tried the solutions of both SSID's the same, both routers support wireless bridging.

I know it can be done, maybe I am just not understanding the technical terms. So frustrating as I cannot see why it should not work, it should but it is not.

17. James Hyde

I have the same setup at home -

I have my main router downstairs, and a bridge router upstairs.

There are two ways to go about it - use Wireless Bridging if your routers support it, or wired bridging.

Check your manual for wireless bridging, but for wired bridging, you need to turn off the DHCP server on your bridge router and connect it to the main router with an Ethernet cable to the LAN ports on both routers.

Then, for it to work as a contiguous network, the SSID and passcode need to have exactly the same settings.

18. Nikhil Gupta

use static ip for first router nd fill the static ip of first router in the second router in the access point field this will rout ur first router by second router....

19. Justine

I dont have the funds to spend on new equipment, is it possible to use my netgear router to connect via wireless to my adsl router, also netgear wireless router...

20. Justine

It seems such a waste that I cannot extend my router, with the introduction of a 2nd router, from what I have read it should work, I do not have the technical skills, to get it to work, on the surface it should.

Where am I going wrong? grrrh!!!

21. Adrian Rea

I too have wanted to do this with an old Netgear DG843G but kept getting frustrated. I am now looking at a purpose built wifi extender for £30 UKP as this would solve the issues I have.

22. Elrick Browne

you can either use an access point or setup an additional router as an access point or get a universal WIFI range extender (which is easier)

• Ahmed Khalil

I confirm this solution you can use access point devise or even use the second router as access point

23. April Eum

most likely to set it up with another available phone line, i would assume you need another modem though :/