How can I connect a second monitor to my PC?

Marcel Sniehotta March 9, 2012

So I wanted to connect two monitors at once and just try it out, but it kinda doesn’t work.

I have nVidia GeForce GTX460 with 2 DVI slots, but when I connect my monitor in PC with DVI cable it just doesn’t work. I need to use DVI->VGA adapter and plug it in it. But I only have 1 DVI->VGA adapter, so when I try to connect the second monitor into DVI slot it just shows floating window with ”Check signal cable”.

Do I need to buy another adapter or what ? Any help really appreciated!

Hello, easiest option would be to get another adapter.  Make sure that it is the right DVI connector because there are different kinds.

It is possible you have to manually enable the second monitor within the NVIDIA Control Panel. Either right-click your Desktop image and select to start the NVIDIA Control Panel or use the tray icon in the taskbar.

Within the Control Panel navigate to "Display > Set up multiple displays".

If you don't have the control panel installed I suggest to get the latest driver from NVIDIA for your card.