How can I connect a mobile phone to the internet via Ubuntu?

abhilash March 27, 2011

How can I connect a Samsung GT-B3410 mobile to the internet trough Ubuntu?

1. Swapnil_kapare

How can I connect a Samsung GT-s5670 Galaxy Fit mobile to the internet trough Ubuntu?

Abhilash,

were you able to figure out a way to connect your phone and were the suggestions above helpful? Please let us know what worked for you or what you are struggling with. Thank you! :)

• Abhilash_kollam23

from the first step, ?... when i use on windows xp it has a pc suit. and connection can be established... but when i use ubuntu( iam a beginer of linux) , i know on thing that samsung mobile can be connected through the cable and the rest is unknown. what are the linux commands so on and so forth

3. Marriop

If you are using an android phone you can use Easy Tether or PDAnet. I assume you are trying to tether your phone to the computer for internet access.

4. Danny Stieben

Not all phones can be connected to your computer's internet connection, so you need to make sure that your phone has been designed to make that possible. As reference, it's actually more common for (smart)phones to share their internet with computers instead of accepting an internet connection from the computer.

That being said, if you've done your research and know that it's possible, there are numerous ways in achieving this. First, there's the possibility that your phone can use your computer's internet connection through a USB cable. For Ubuntu it should be a matter of plugging in the cable, and doing nothing. You may need to go into the phone's settings, however, to enable the internet input if there's a switch.

I saw the phone has Bluetooth capabilities, so there's a chance it could receive your computer's internet through Bluetooth. The default Bluetooth manager in Ubuntu isn't feature rich, so you would need to install "blueman". Once it's installed and you run it for the first time, you can go up to the applet, right click on it, and choose "Local Services". In there you can enable "Network Access Point (NAP)" as well as "Enable routing (NAT)" if you need it. Afterwards it should be a matter of simply pairing the devices, connecting them, and enabling the switch on your phone if it has one.

Again, it may be possible that your phone simply can't use a computer's internet connection, but hopefully I helped in case it does.