How can I connect my mini DV camcorder to the iMac?

Stephen Owen June 23, 2010

I have a Canon MV530i which I am trying to pair with my iMac.

I bought a Firewire cable from Apple 9 to 4 pin. When I try to pair them, the Mac (snow leopard) knows it’s there, but cannot register. It eventually gives up then says no hardware found.

I need help as I have two DV tapes with my late wife that I wish to convert to DVD. Any advice would be great. I would even consider buying a cheap newer DV tape player.

Stephen,

were you able to connect your camcorder to your iMac in the meantime? What method did you try? Please let us know what worked for you. Thank you!

• Stephen

Nothing yet

2. yenvious

You will need to open a program like iMovie or Final Cut Pro to import from the camera, as OS X doesn't have native support for firewire video importing (as it does for firewire disks or SD Cards via USB).

If somehow that doesn't work for you, it might be a problem with your firewire cord itself. I spent weeks thinking my external harddrive had failed before I thought to try another cord and Lo!, it worked just fine. See if you can test it out on a friends computer.

3. fruitgeek.wordpress.com

Have you tried opening iMovie to import the tapes? That's what I use, then I just export it to iDVD. You could also try iDVD to start with - click OneStep or something like that.

• Stephen Owen

Thanks for your advice unfortunately the problem is with mac it refuses to see the camcorder it takes about 4 mins to look for it then tells me their is nothing their ( I know it knows its their) I've tried final cut and I and idvd even hunted down canons image browser still nothing could anyone tell me wether an external firewire hub would work.