Why can I connect to the local network but not the Internet when connecting to my wireless router?

Bill Griffin September 5, 2011

I have recently installed a wireless router. Why is it that when I connect, it says that I have local network, but am not connected to the Internet?

It says you have a local network (LAN) because your system found a router, but that router is not connected to the internet. Be sure you've properly plugged in the modem cable into the router. You're going to need to provide us with more details.

Go to start -> search/run and type "cmd.exe". A command prompt will open up, in there type "ipconfig" and find "default gateway" in that list. Once you've found your gateway address, type "ping 5.5.5.5", replace 5.5.5.5 with the gateway that was shown from the ipconfig command. Does it sucessfully ping that address? (i.e is it getting replies or is it unreachable?)

That will let us know if your computer is connected to the router. If that was successful (i.e you got replies) then perform this next command. In the command prompt still, type "ping google.com". Do you get replies from that as well?

Please reply back with that information. Basically I'm trying to find out what layer the issue is happening on.

various options come to mind:

As Tina already said (a) you missed or miss-typed some information required for internet access.

(b) The internet isn't connected to your wireless router correctly.

(c) You replaced or disconnected the device responsible for internet access (modem or a modem-router combo, cables)

One last option that is rare but does exist is that (d) your internet access is restricted to a devices unique MAC-Address and therefor your new router isn't granted access.

Bill,

does your router maybe need login information for your ISP?