How can I connect both a LCD TV and a CRT monitor to my computer and switch between the two for graphics output?

muraliporur April 1, 2010

I have a Samsung 26 inch LCD TV and a Samsung 17 inch CRT monitor. I would like to use the CRT monitor for browsing the web, and the LCD TV to watch content downloaded from the web.

But it is irritating to remove the CRT monitor cable and to plug in the LCD TV cable into my PC and vice versa every time. I would like to have a device that permanently connects all these, so that I can switch between CRT monitor and LCD TV without removing and replugging these cables.

1. Led TVs Reviews

If your computer has 2 PCI slot (1 connected to the video card and 1 connected to motherboard) then you should able to do this.

On my laptop I have both VGA and HDMI ports. I use VGA for the external monitor and HDMI for my TV. For best quality, it's highly recommended to use HDMI to connect computer to HDTV.

Most graphics cards have 3 outputs. For example, my computer as a VGA, DVI and HDMI output. Therefore, just mix and match the cables to the inputs on the screens. I would go DVI to your computer screen and HDMI to your tv. Then in your graphic settings, just set up the resolutions and settings appropriately.

The best way to deal with this is to get a graphics card for your PC with two outputs. That way you can address the two monitors as though they were one large screen, and position your applications as you wish. Most modern cards can do this.