How do I connect my laptop to a TV using a VGA to HDMI adapter?
Question by stephen /

I am trying to hook my laptop up to my TV using VGA to HDMI and it is not working.

What can I try?

• Irshaad Abdool

do not use the VGA-to-HDMI cable. it wont work. rather, use a ‘scan converter’ or ‘VGA to HDMI converter’

• Nart Barileva

Try checking the requirements of your adapter and see if you meet them.

• April Eum

since your laptop has a vga output, depening on which tv you use, your tv should have a vga input, it’ll guarantee to work from vga to vga, just make sure on your tv your on the right screen, if it doesn’t show up, you have to adjust the screen resolution settings from you computer so that it fits the tv. if not you can try ebay, they have tons of vga to hdmi cord

• Dalsan

Sorry, but unless the computer has the option (more than 90% will NOT) to output digital signal through VGA (which as stated several times before VGA is analog), VGA to HDMI cables won’t work, it will only waste money, effort, and cause aggravation. VGA input to HDMI output converter (not cable since cables are not capable of converting anything, only carry signal) would be the only option for HDMI connection. The converter will not have as crisp a picture as true HDMI setup, but is acceptable performance-wise. I’m not trying to be rude out mean, just want to clarify that cables will never convert signals, only carry them. The Chinese companies make plenty of money by giving false hope to those wanting a cheap and quick fix that leads to aggravation and frustration into why something that doesn’t work won’t work.

We had this topic at length before.

VGA is an analog signal, HDMI is a digital signal

Unless both your graphics card and your TV support a digital signal via an analog connection it doesn’t work with a simple adapter.
    You need an active converter that transforms the analog VGA signal into a digital one.

• Edward

You did not say what operating system you are running. I
    f you are running Windows then go to Control Panel – Display – Settings. if you see more than one monitor and one is grayed out, that may be your TV. Right click on the grayed out monitor and select attached.

• Sebastian Hadinata

What windows version are you using? Is it Windows 7? If so, you can try open Windows Mobility Center (Start Menu > Accessories > Windows Mobility Center or just Press the Windows Button + X). There should be external display menu there, try pressing the “Connect Display” button.

Alternatively if your laptop has NVIDIA or ATI graphic card, you can try to config the connection from its control panel.

P.S: try your laptop FN key too.

• Dalsan

Is it a VGA to HDMI cord or a VGA in to HDMI out converter box? The cord version does not work for VGA to HDMI or vise versa.