How can I connect my laptop and my Nokia phone using a Bluetooth dongle?

Gary McIver September 18, 2011

I have a Toshiba/Equium A210 laptop that does not have Bluetooth installed. I bought a plug-and-play Bluetooth dongle and it installed perfectly.

When I tried to link my Nokia 2720 fold mobile, the mobile found the laptop, but the laptop did not find the mobile (or anything else). I am using Windows Vista. When the mobile asks me to “enter passcode”, I enter 0000 and “enter” and a text balloon appears on my laptop screen asking me if I want to accept the connection, I click the balloon and it just disappears. What is going wrong?

1. Yaara

You didn't mention if you set up the Bluetooth connection manually on the PC to try to find the phone.

Just in case you didn't, you should Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Internet and choose "Set up a Bluetooth enabled device". From there I think you need to click Add, and then Windows should find your phone.

If you already did that and it just didn't find your phone in the process, I can try thinking about something else. Good luck!

• Gary

Thanks for trying. I have done everything that I can think of. All Bluetooth devices find the laptop but the laptop picks up absolutely nothing yet it knows that it is being contacted (hence the "would you like to accept" balloon). If you think of anything further...

• Yaara

Did you try it with Nokia PC Suite? If I remember correctly, it has its own connection wizard - maybe it will manage to locate your phone?

• Gary McIver

Worked a treat. Thank you... Gary.

• Gary