Why can’t I see anything when I connect my laptop to a monitor via VGA?

Ravi Lamontagne October 10, 2012

I connected an HP W17E monitor to my laptop and it says “VGA no signal”. I know that the cable works because before I connected the monitor to the laptop it said cable not connected.

I also tested this monitor on a desktop computer and I had the same problem. Could it be that the monitor is not working?

1. Stephen Josh

A laptop with an external output port can display in 3 different settings which are laptop only, Laptop + External , External only. Please try and test o test in External only mode. That should fox your issue.

2. Ravi Lamontagne

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond to my question the solution was to press fn+f5 key combination.

3. mohan kumar

Try these to toggle the screen, ( it varies from lap to laptop) -- Fn( Function Key) +F5
    Sometimes it is Fn+ F4.

4. Dimal Chandrasiri

try to figure out, the function keys on your laptop. it must provide with a function where you can select the display mode. check that, the secondary display is enabled. if not enable it and try again. I had this issue, but couldn't figure what was going on. Finally I tried what I described and it worked!

make sure that is capable sending analog signal required for tv-out perhaps no tv-out on that VGA port.

If you set the resolution too high then you will not see anything when you try to connect your laptop to TV . play with laptop resolution.

While you are holding the FN key you will need to press the button that corresponds to the external monitor button. Like Fn+F4 it can be F5 (depending on laptop).

You need to go to your nvidia properties (nView) and go to control settings. Then find mutliple display options,
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/nview_display_us.html

or you need VGA scan converter
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scan_conversion

6. Dave Rimmer

So you tested it on a Desktop Pc and it stated cable not connected, it should state no input if that is the case then it must be one of them, try a new cable first or try you monitor on a friends PC.

7. Grr

Did u switch the display from laptop to HP monitor?

Just connecting monitor will not switch ur screen from laptop to external screen.
    Usually it is F7 function key

8. Adrian Rea

I would still try another cable, as what you report could still be the cable. It could be the monitor so ask someone if you can borrow a monitor to check or take your laptop, with the suspect cable to a friends house to check both items.

Most laptops do not automatically send video to the D-sub connector. There is generally a function key combination used to turn that output option on and off. With the desktop you used to test, was it a second port you were using or the primary one? If it was the primary and another monitor was working on it, you have an issue with this monitor.

10. Irshaad Abdool

you have to play around with the multiple screens settings. meaning you have to adjust the screen resolution of the secondary monitor from 'Graphics Properties'