How can I connect my laptop to my HDTV?

Dante October 11, 2011

Trying to connect laptop to a Sony Bravia using a VGA to RCA cable, but am getting a message: no signal from the TV.

Can someone help?

1. Crystald2008

How can I connect my hdtv to my laptop? Both the tv and the pc have a USB port. Will a dual ended USB cord do the trick? I would like to watch movies through this connection.

Crystal,

I noticed that your question was not answered, even after 4 days. If you're still looking for a solution, I recommend you ask a new question here. It will be posted on the front page of MakeUseOf Answers, where it will be seen by a lot more people than within this comment thread.

2. Tomas Isokata

Thanks everyone for your responses, highly appreciated. I got the issue sorted by getting a HDMI to HDMI cable. everything's now fine.

• Mjevolve

as said , HDMI would be the best and the easiest ..  :)
      Glad it worked ...  

Thanks for the feedback, Tomas!

3. M.S. Smith

I suspect that the television does not accept analog connections through RCA and is therefor not recognizing the analog VGA output of your laptop. You will need to use a different output on your laptop, such as HDMI or DVI. 

If you only have VGA available, you might be able to create a connection by routing VGA to RCA, then RCA to a VCR or adapter that can convert that to co-ax. Your television might accept the analog signal through co-ax. But I can't guarantee that will work, you'd really have to try it and see.

Hello, at the risk of asking the obvious, have you change your tv to the right connector?  Double check to make sure that you are using the RCA port that you are actually using.  Most recent sony tv's have RCA in 1, 2, etc and they have a RCA out 1, etc.  Keep in mind that tv has RCA outgoing connection and an incoming connection.  In the end, I do not think your tv would be able to receive the video from your laptop by using this type of cable, you'll be better off getting a VGA cable if your laptops supports it.  I do not see why not, if your laptops was made within the last 5 years it should have a vga port.

5. Mjevolve

simple put , the TV might not be supporting the cable and that is why the message .

what other video output terminals does the laptop has .

the best is the HDMI . see for it . a straight HDMI to HDMI cable would do the job . just make sure of the versions of HDMI cable .

or 

does the TV has a VGA port ..

it would accept the connection with that also ..

just tell what connectivity ports does the two hardwares have ...

6. Mjevolve

or 

does the TV has a VGA port ..